Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notting Hill Brewhouse - Most think it is because of my British heritage (legal immigrant), but actually it is because we live in a subdivision called Notting Hill. Logo was quite easy to decide. And my beers are all named after London Transport (Underground) stations or lines, e.g. Victoria Christmas Ale because Victoria Underground was first opened on Christmas Eve; Bayswater for Berliner Weisse; Northern Line for a Northern Brown Ale; Circle Line for a Biere de Garde that we informally called 'loopy beer' because it left you feeling loopy but without a hangover; etc. I have a map of the Underground in the brewing area with push pins to marked which stations/line have been assigned to a beer.

NHBHv3.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think I've seen this thread...

Clover Creek Brewery - the creek in which the gully I live in run's through - also - for those of you Air Force folks that have been stationed at McChord AFB (Now JBLM) - it bisects the main runway on its way to American Lake and the Puget Sound.

CC-Pint-Logo-Dark-Grey.png

I wanted something funny and Crackpot seemed to fit both the out of the ordinary beers I wanted to brew and I love trying different things. I'd like to think it's also due to my tag line being so true - "Because everyone's a little crazy!"

I still haven't decided on a logo yet. originally I was going with the mad scientist theme, but that seems to have been played upon many times already.

Loud Mic Ales

My name is Mike, but I'm a loud guy so I changed the spelling to represent my obnoxiousness. I can make lotsa labels, here's the one I used for my Christmas Spice I brewed for gifts to co-workers, family and friends

LoudMic-Xmas.jpg

Oddball Garage.

Bit of a concept in the making. Bundling several things I do under the same name. Been thinking about a slogan, best I've come up with goes

Oddball bikes
Oddball brews
Oddball guy

No logo yet as I suck at drawing.

puRzZf3.jpg

First kit I did was an irish red ale, and cobrewers wife is a redhead, and we know they all dont have souls thanks to the excellent documentary series known as SouthPark.

Best Bad Dog Brewing after Guinness, my chocolate lab. She was 16 when she died in November. The last 2 years she couldn't walk after an accident (broke her neck chasing a damn cat) but in her youth she was a beast! We used to say she was the best bad dog or the worst good dog ever! This is her and her buddy Parker. We miss you mutt butt!

View attachment 1485218261096.jpg

View attachment 1485218736516.jpg

I've come up with names for a lot of my hobbies - not that I have any logos or aspirations to go pro with any of them
Surreal Enterprises (something I came up with years ago when something I was registering wanted a company name)
Parent company of:
J-Squared Brewing Co (my first name and my wife's both start with J)
1023Mb Studios - (for my musical tastes - 'cause I never get a gig)
Bawstin Bah-B-Que (for when I get the smoker out - the local accent, spelled out)

I've literally just joined here, but I've been checking out different threads for awhile now. Trying to get a feel for everything before jumping in. Amyway, to get back on topic. I'm thinking Pappy's Still Brewing. My grandfather was a bootlegger who ran shine in his old plane. There's a family story that says he came back from a trip to NY, and found bullet holes in the tail of his plane. Presumably from gangsters, or maybe even revenue agents. Could just be family folklore, but it's a good story. I know that it would probably make a better name for a distillery, but I like history, and my heritage. Incidentally I am named after him as well, Dennis, and according to what I've researched about the family name, depending on region of origin, the name Bender was associated with either archery, or coopers i.e. barrel makers, which is pretty cool. No logo yet, but I'm working on it.

How difficult is it to buy the rights to a brewery name? Brew beer for yourself and friends, but sell swag with your brewery logo.

AKA not selling beer to public

How difficult is it to buy the rights to a brewery name? Brew beer for yourself and friends, but sell swag with your brewery logo.

AKA not selling beer to public

I don't think there are any "rights to buy". The logo and name can simply be protected via filing for a trademark. Not sure how expensive that is all in but you're likely looking at north of a couple grand.

The hitch with a trademark though is that you are then legally obligated to protect your trademark from infringement.

What that means is, if you trademark "Billy Bob's Brewing" (just making up a name).... and then some brewery somewhere names a beer "Billy Bob's Brown Ale" or something, you have to send them a Cease and Desist order through an attorney (why breweries do it). If you don't your intellectual property becomes public domain again.

So... you are required to regularly scan the market place and actively look if someone is infringing on your mark and if so, take legal action to stop it.

Or... you can skip all of that and just make up the t-shirts and merch.

.... and if you get that big that it is a concern that someone might steal your name/logo, then you go through the hassle of trademarking

there's trademark™ (or copyright©) and then there's REGISTERED® trademark (or copyright)

all you have to do is add ™ to your logo (or © to your artwork/song) and you're good. print a copy, stuff it in an envelope and mail it to yourself, only opening it in front of lawyers who can verify the postmark date should someone contest your ownership

OR send your logo (or artwork/song) plus $25(I forget the amount, but it's not a lot) to the Library of Congress and you have REGISTERED your trademark (or copyright) and that will allow you to add the ® and you now have the full faith and authority of the US government behind you if someone tries to steal what you created

We live in the Tularosa Basin near White Sands New Mexico. My name is Steve and my wife (Brew Partner) is Steph, so we call ourselves Basin SandS. The sands works for white sands, and also for S and S (Steve and Steph)

Soulshine...of course. because its better than sunshine, better than moonshine and damn sho' better than the rain. The song is one of my wife's favorites.
I'll probably use some kind of bright or Tie-Dyed and balloon'ish late 60's,early 70's font.
I mess around with pics/GIF's and fonts on the computer for my custom cigar bands so this shouldn't be much different. I'll try to name the beers I make after song titles, lyrics or bands. for example- a light beer "He Ain't Heavy ,Hes my Brew-ther" ,a summer ale called "Eddie Cochrans Summertime Brews" or "Bock in the Saddle again" for fall . Maybe a Christmas ale called "Do you hear Wort I hear?" , "Meatloaf's Bat-Outta Helles", I can do this all day and my wife knows I'm a pun-ster.
I named my cigars Smokin Harley and used a 48 EL with logo similar to Steak and Shake except its red ,actually a guy at Zazzle ( custom logo /T-shirt place) made the logo for me. Looks great on a T-shirt.

Black Desert Brewery. Nickname for a small woods that consists of black rock in my town. Had a near-death experience when I was 14 and got lit on fire in a gasoline explosion when me and some friends were having a fire in there to keep warm in the winter. It's also just a pretty, cool place too.

Golden Dory Ale House - Growing up Stompin Tom was/is a Canadian Icon that my grandmother loved. We listened to him all the time so I took a lyric from one of his songs. "You might think it's goofy, but the man on the moon is a Newfie, and he's sailing on to glory, away in his Golden Dory"

My brewery name when I started right after college was Shagmesiter Brewing. My nickname in my music frat was Shaggy because I had long hair for most of college. "Meister" just made it sound German, therefore more beer-like.

When I picked the hobby back up in the fall of 2016 in my first house, my girlfriend's dog sat at the back door in the kitchen when I brewed just making sad, lonely sounds by the door. At that moment, Sad Dog Brewing Co. was founded. (plus I was running out of hair-themed beer names.)

I live in the middle of the ****ing desert

I have to drive 30 miles for gas, 50 to the nearest grocery store

DESERT CENTER BREWERY

Dropping the Microphone

Black Desert Brewery. Nickname for a small woods that consists of black rock in my town. Had a near-death experience when I was 14 and got lit on fire in a gasoline explosion when me and some friends were having a fire in there to keep warm in the winter. It's also just a pretty, cool place too.

Sounds like Jumping Jack Flash brewery...[emoji51]

I loosely call my homebrewery, J-Squared Brewing. My first initital and my wife's. I don't have any logos or anything, I name a few of my beers, but not all of them. It's if something comes to mind for it, it may stick, or it may not.
I've also more or less jokingly called my vaious hobbies under the umbrella company, Surreal Enterprises (based on something I came up with in college for some project or another. Besides J-Squared Brewing, it also has 1023MB Music Studios (I never get a gig...) and the Bawstin Bah-B-Que Project.

Drahtesel, German slang for an old rusty bicycle. Roughly translated, "wire donkey". To Germans the term evokes imagery of twisted, rusty spokes and a wobbly gait. In honor of my beloved old bicycle, and reminds me of my zweite heimat.

Chix Beach Mad Science Labs.

I live in Chix Beach.
Multiple people have said my garage looks like a mad scientist lair combined with a Meth Lab

Back