Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to come up with a name for a what seems like a very long time. I just started brewing a few years ago so I suppose it hasn't been that long. Now that my beers have been gaining recognition among my friends and family I figured I better buckle down and come up with something.

So for the story... Every time I deploy I become the unit barber. I work on a donation basis, but I still usually make around $1,000 on a 7 month deployment. I designed my keezer while on this last deployment and I was advertising it to my customers in an attempt to elicit a few more bucks here and there. One of my coworkers ended up getting pretty excited about my hobby and wanted to talk about it just about all the time.

Eventually we were talking about what I should name a brewery if I retire from the Marine Corps and start one. He suggested "Hatchet Job" because of my little barbershop. It took a while, but I finally decided that it was a perfect fit. So there you have it.

I chose "Aggressive Aleworks" as my brewery name. My goal is to eventually open up a brewpub under the same name. Marketing will be great, as people could joke that they're going to A.A. (Aggressive Aleworks). All of my tap handles will soon have "AA" on them as well.

Halde's Brewery. Last name is Haldeman. Brewed beer for my wedding on May 15th and everyone loved my Halde's Hitched Hefeweizen and Chucktown Porter. (I live in Charleston, SC)

My brewing/business partner and I went with Snallygaster Brew Works. The Snallygaster is a local legend that has Germanic roots. It's essentially a polymorphic demon-thing that eats livestock and (occasionally) people. Apparently it died in a vat of moonshine, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it around the area. We are working to have a microbrewery/taproom opened in Western Maryland by the fall/winter of this year (we're working with investors and contractors at the moment). We had to change antiquated laws in the county to allow this -- we were technically pursuing and illegal venture until about 3 weeks ago when the Governor signed the bill that will allow us get the license we need.

I picked Alliance Brewing Company to acknowledge the union between the brewer, the ingredients and the customer. Together, we demand great beer.

My dog is a beagle mix with awful breath; beagles are an English dog and i was looking for an English-esque name for the brewery. After a few homebrews with friend
s, we spit-balled some names and wound up with HoundsBreath Brewing

mine is boring, but has a meaning to me- Broken Leg Brewery.

I broke my leg playing hockey on March 16, and it still hasn't healed. I started a more "quiet hobby"- brewing. I have a new nickname, though- "Brewmistress". I would give any more details no matter how much you beg.....

Lorena

YOOPER...you play hockey. BADASS!! When you get better I'm gonna have to head up to the UP and show you hwo us Minnesota boys throw down. And I know your a female...so no checking. :drunk:

Named after the waterfall that is in MN near where I was born. If you haven't heard about it, the waterfall splits into two sections, the first flowing into Lake Superior, and the second into a hole that creates a little water tornado. People don't really know where the water goes when it goes down the hole...they assume Lake Superior...but no one really knows....hence...Devil's Kettle.

Here's the logo.

DK2.jpg

We are naming our Home Brewery: The Burnt Nipple. During our first home brew we inadvertantly burnt my boob/nipple when we went to cool the wart. We didn't tighten something down properly and I was sprayed with the hot water, that was supposed to be going in the sink. I'm not afraid though. I'm looking forward to our next brew and if this burn happens to leave a scar, well I will just tattoo the word beer over it and call it a day. :mug:

After much debate it think I've settled on Booger County Brewing. The county I live in is nicknamed Booger County. A "Booger" is sort of like a sasquatch type of creature. There were reported sightings of this booger in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Need to work on a logo.

New guy here. I was tossing around the idea of calling mine "Don't Tread on Me" brewing co. It would symbolize freedom to brew what I want without having to conform to the standards and regulations that others have set forth. It also seems to fit with the times these days. Needless to say, I'm not the most politically correct guy around, and always was a bit of a non-conformist. My slogan would be
Don't tread on me
Or you'll have to drink crappy beer.

Ironically, I have two friends on the state Liquor control board. :D

Our brewery is named in honor of our old dog, Brandi. She was a black lab, and pretty much the best dog ever. We started brewing about 2-3 months before we had to put her to sleep, and we didn't think of coming up with an actual name for our brewery until right around then. So, we decided to name our brewery "Black Dog Brewhouse".
It was between that and Greasy Lake Brewhouse. We're from Jersey and big Bruce fans, so we considered throwing a Bruce reference in, but ultimately we liked Black Dog better.

Here's our label. The paw print is her actual pawprint scanned in.

BDBFinal.jpg

I chose "Aggressive Aleworks" as my brewery name. My goal is to eventually open up a brewpub under the same name. Marketing will be great, as people could joke that they're going to A.A. (Aggressive Aleworks). All of my tap handles will soon have "AA" on them as well.

Genius

I'm toying with Briss Beer Co.
tagline: Enjoy it before you get cut off

My 3 year old daughter suggested Blue Cod Brewing

I'm currently calling it:
Uborka's Urban Brew House

My fiancee is Hungarian, and Uborka is the Hungarian word for cucumber. It just sounded fun as a name, too. Plus, I live in NYC so it's urban.

I'm going with "Simply Absurd Brewing Company" it's fitting with my logic of brewing. If I think something might taste good with beer well then damnit I'm going to find a way to incorporate it into the beer.

Slogan: "Striving to make unique and enjoyable beers to entertain your senses."

The logo on the other hand is still something to work on... I have some ideas but nothing that I like enough. So far most of my sketches come up very "Monty Python-ish" which I don't think I'm aiming for...

Well at 6' 4" I am the runt of my family. So my brother (6' 10") and I have kicked around the name "Tall Boys", but we still may go with the simple "Boché Brews"
Thats Bow-shay if anyone is wondering ha

"Purple Valley Brewing Co."

This name is a homage to the "purple valley," which is what Indiana is referred to as with regards to my fraternity, Phi Gamma Delta. We have 8 chapters and 1 colony in the state as well as some of the oldest chapters in the nation, as well as the oldest continually running chapter of any greek-letter organization (which happens to be the chapter I am in). Because this is a venture that a few of my brothers and I are getting into and because we are going to be brewing in th e house, we thought it would be nice to reflect our values into our beer and give a nice tip-o-the-hat to our state and fraternity.

Muffin House Brewing Co.

The only nickname I ever had that stuck was muffin. I just thought that Muffin House flowed together nicely. Plus I feel like it's a nice clash with the manly stereotype of drinking beer (not that there's anything wrong with it).

Was messing around on the laptop and came up with a quick logo design. What do you guys think. My wife doesn't want me to go with my initial Briss Brewing Co, so I went with my 3 year old daughters idea of blue cod

blue-cod-logo.jpg

Sawtooth Brewery
I work in construction and decorated with assortments of wicked steel teeth.

Mine is Crag Rat Brewing Co as I am a cragrat at heart.

A crag rat is a dedicated, passionate rock climber.

WeissenHeimer Brewing...simple, my families last name is heimer and the whole family is a group of smart asses. Why not use play on words with a beer style, weiss, as well

Wouldn't par just be average? Maybe under par Brewing Co.

You're "average" golfer is lucky to shoot par a handful of times in his/her life. My beer is made for the "average" golfer in all of us, that does it to have fun and get drunk. It's not made for those sissy's on the PGA tour. :mug:

Plain and simple for me.....I have two dogs, and I'm not about to name it after that hard lemonaide crap that used to be for sale.

I was going to make some sort of icon with both of them in it, but my dogs cant sit still for a minute to take a picture, but oh well, this is what I've got:

DDbrew.jpg

Bitter Girl Brewery. A friend of mine came up with it. I'm a girl, and occasionally bitter (actually, I was pretty bitter at the time I first started brewing), and of course, beer is bitter.

Of course, it also comes with myriad clever naming possibilities for future beers. Ex-Girlfriend IPA (if I ever do a double IPA, Ex-Wife), for example. I'm doing an espresso cream stout next, which I'm tentatively calling Hipster *****.

Deep Six Brewing Co.

We sort of went serious with our name, just in case we ever make it big time - heh. Plus its just sounds damn cool (to me anyway).

***EDIT*** - Wanted to update this post with a copy of our new brewery logo.

4141-d6onbottle.jpg
VERY COOL!

Heres mine:
Blood Mountain Brewing Co.
BM_Logocopy.jpg

And a few labels for the heck of it :D

SleepingGiantLabelcopy.jpg

PumpkinAleLabelcopy.jpg

Rat-Tailed Squirrel Brewing Co.

During a couple of brew days, a hairless tailed squirrel would always find its way to our brew area. Its tail looked like a rats, hence the name. It has slowly grown it back, but the name has stuck and it was an easy logo to make too.

Backwaters Brewing

I've spent most of my time on a lake skiing and wakeboarding and all the lakes we go to are in pretty podunk locations so I thought it fitting. Did find out that there is already a backwater (no s) brewing so mine may need to change should I ever decide to set up an LLC...

We are naming our Home Brewery: The Burnt Nipple. During our first home brew we inadvertantly burnt my boob/nipple when we went to cool the wart. We didn't tighten something down properly and I was sprayed with the hot water, that was supposed to be going in the sink. I'm not afraid though. I'm looking forward to our next brew and if this burn happens to leave a scar, well I will just tattoo the word beer over it and call it a day. :mug:

Would love to see the logo :D

Nothing terribly interesting for me...Im a diehard Notre Dame fan, so naturally I had to use a leprechaun in there somewhere. However, I myself am German heritage and love the German/Belgian styles. As such, I decided to name my label 'Tanzenden Kobold'. German for 'The Dancing Leprechaun.'

"Two in the boat" brewing.

I'm a hunter/fisherman/outdoors man and when my buddy and I used to go fishing we'd yell that when both of us had a fish on the hook. :mug:

Back