Brewers Friend Recipe Builder Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcbjr77

Reaction score
Hello, I have a couple questions regarding the recipe builder on Brewers Friend

I'm so confused with the following and I know these sound like stupid questions but please bare with me:

1- What is batch size vs. boil size?

2- What is efficiency? If I'm doing extract what do I put here for a %?

Thanks
Larry

1- Batch size is the volume of wort that goes into the carboy or bucket to ferment. Boil size is the volume of the wort in the kettle, which should be larger than the batch size due to boil off. Boil off rate is different for everyone and depends on altitude, humidity, kettle dimensions, length of time boiled, and how capable your burner is at hitting boiling temps. A general example would be 0.8 to 1.3 gallons boiled off per full rolling, 60 minute boil.

Then there is also trub loss, or the amount of hop and protein matter that has absorbed some of the wort, which sits at the bottom of the kettle as you cool the wort down to pitch temps. You can choose to transfer this to your fermenter or leave it in the kettle. If you leave it in the kettle, this will account for an additional 0.2-0.4 gallons or so of wort loss as a general example.

2- Are you brewing via extract? Efficiency won't really be an issue if so. It has to do with the amount of fermentable sugars your system is capable of extracting from the unconverted starchy grains via enzyme conversion. Most all grain brewers range from 65-75% efficiency. Extract beers don't have this issue so you can leave the % at the default value.

What if I'm boiling 3.5 gallons of water/wort, then adding water after the boil to get to 5.25 gallons before pitching the yeast.

What number would I put where?

1- Batch size is the volume of wort that goes into the carboy or bucket to ferment. Boil size is the volume of the wort in the kettle, which should be larger than the batch size due to boil off. Boil off rate is different for everyone and depends on altitude, humidity, kettle dimensions, length of time boiled, and how capable your burner is at hitting boiling temps. A general example would be 0.8 to 1.3 gallons boiled off per full rolling, 60 minute boil.

Then there is also trub loss, or the amount of hop and protein matter that has absorbed some of the wort, which sits at the bottom of the kettle as you cool the wort down to pitch temps. You can choose to transfer this to your fermenter or leave it in the kettle. If you leave it in the kettle, this will account for an additional 0.2-0.4 gallons or so of wort loss as a general example.

2- Are you brewing via extract? Efficiency won't really be an issue if so. It has to do with the amount of fermentable sugars your system is capable of extracting from the unconverted starchy grains via enzyme conversion. Most all grain brewers range from 65-75% efficiency. Extract beers don't have this issue so you can leave the % at the default value.

You are using the calculator in "All Grain" mode and need to switch it to "Extract" mode. At the top it should say "Recipe Name," 3 lines under that it should say "Brew Method." Change Brew Method to Extract. Should solve all your problems. :mug:

What if I'm boiling 3.5 gallons of water/wort, then adding water after the boil to get to 5.25 gallons before pitching the yeast.

What number would I put where?

I would not recommend that procedure, but you would put the amount of wort in your fermenter, or 5.25 gallons and the amount of wort in your kettle, or 3.5 gallons. Common sense, really.

Simply put, Batch Size is the amount of liquid you end up with.

However, Batch Size goes along with "Target" as a required additional variable.

Target can either be Kettle or Fermenter.

If you choose Kettle, the recipe is gauged towards getting that much liquid in the kettle after your boil, before cooling and before you move it anywhere else.

If you choose Fermenter, the recipe is gauged towards getting that much liquid in your fermenter after boiling, cooling (which doesn't actually work; bug reported), and trub loss. It takes into account the trub loss entry in your equipment profile, and adds additional water to the beginning volume to compensate.

I would not recommend that procedure, but you would put the amount of wort in your fermenter, or 5.25 gallons and the amount of wort in your kettle, or 3.5 gallons. Common sense, really.

Set your brew method to Extract. Set your boil size to 3.5 and your batch size to 5.25. It will tell you how much water to top off with in the Quick Water Requirements tool.

Set your brew method to Extract. Set your boil size to 3.5 and your batch size to 5.25. It will tell you how much water to top off with in the Quick Water Requirements tool.

Aware. I just don't condone the method of topping off, especially for hoppy or pale beers.

Mash Schedule
----------------
Ferulic Acid 15 min @ 114 (Infuse)
Protein 10 min @ 125 (Direct)
Sacch I 40 min @ 144 (Direct)
Sacch II 20 min @ 161 (Decoction)

What does something like this mean exactly? I understand the temp. and time aspect but not the other terms.

The first term is the purpose of the rest; i.e. it tells what element is being coaxed out of the mash at that temperature. In this case, a type of acid; protein; and sugar (saccharification).

The last term in parenthesis is the manner by which the temperature is attained. Infuse means you pour in hot water to match the desired temp. Direct means direct heat is applied via flame or electric. Decoction is a process whereby some of the mash is physically removed, placed in another pot, boiled, and returned in order to raise the heat of the main mash.

Latest posts

Back