Brewers Best Russian Imperial Stout kit - No Sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkisoc176

Reaction score
I have brewed the BB-RIS kit twice now, and have just lifted the grain bag out of the wort slowly, without squeezing, as directed.

Recipe: http://www.ldcarlson.com/public catalog/Brewers Best Recipes/1046.pdf

I have started brewing a few other things, currently Graf, which requires sparging. This seems to be a common technique with grain brewing, which gets more sugar out of the grain.

Since my OG has been a tad on the low side for what the kit states (usually 1.065-1.070 for mine, vs the kit's "1.076-1.080"), would sparging with a tiny amount of water help increase the OG? Would doing this harm the beer taste in any large way?

I know no-sparge recipes throw in more grains to get the same result, but sparging, from what I understand, would indeed still increase the sugar content.

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

My thoughts exactly, 45_70sharps, I'm just wondering why Brewers Best made it a no-sparge recipe, and if this has any potential down-falls (like the beer is more bitter from the sparge or something like that)

Overall, it seems like they just tried to simplify the recipe. Since I was (and really still *am*) a beginner, I can appreciate slimming the steps down. Next time I am looking to play a bit more :)

OK, I checked out the recipe.
I see that it's an extract brew. I was thinking you were doing the brew in a bag thing.
The specialty grains are typically for color and flavor in an extract brewing recipe, but since you are probably steeping around 150, you should get some conversion also I would think.
By essentially re running the specialty grains, you will probably change the color and flavor some.
It's up to you to decide if you want to experiment with the flavor in order to see if the gravity changes.
Some more DME would bring it up also, but can also effect the flavor.
If you want to increase the gravity you might add some DME and re run the grains. They may balance the extra malt.

Excellent response, thank you. I will try tampering with it a bit and see what happens. When I get around to that (may be awhile, since I just bottled my last one), Ill post the results. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back