brewers best kolsh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidMagic

Reaction score
I am doing the brewers best kolsh and am at the second stage fermentation and it appears fermentation stalled. It used nottingham yeast. Should I make add another packet of nottingham, anothrr yeast White or Wyeast kolsh? Please help, I don't want bad tasting beer.

How are you finding that the fermentation has stalled? If you're taking gravity readings, post them here!

The kit said after 5 to 7 days but fermentation stopped to 2nd fermentation, sg 1.011, I racked into a carboy and now it does not appear to be fermm enting, no foam, beer is dark for a kolsh, I think it needs ore yeast to clear and lightenup. What do you think?

LiquidMagic said:
The kit said after 5 to 7 days but fermentation stopped to 2nd fermentation, sg 1.011, I racked into a carboy and now it does not appear to be fermm enting, no foam, beer is dark for a kolsh, I think it needs ore yeast to clear and lightenup. What do you think?

More yeast won't do anything -- you've already got a huge population in there. It will be lighter in a glass than it appears in a large volume. I'd just leave it alone awhile longer, then bottle.

Extract kits often turn out darker than you'd expect due to Maillard reaction - darkening of sugars in boiling wort. Your beer doesn't need additional yeast. Just let it sit conditioning in the secondary for a couple weeks. Give it some time clear up.

Extract kits often turn out darker than you'd expect due to Maillard reaction - darkening of sugars in boiling wort. Your beer doesn't need additional yeast. Just let it sit conditioning in the secondary for a couple weeks. Give it some time clear up.

PS thanks! Just relax and have a homebrew beer as Papazian says.

Well, it did clear up and I bottled it. The other day a friend of ours was over and I gave her a taste of the Kolsh..... and I asked her what she thought. She said, it tasted like beer and water!

That is kinda like a women insulting a man's toy size. I mean, holly ****, a women saying a beer tastes like beer and water. I tasted it and it is very light flavored, like a light beer... or lighter, what could have went wrong?

Hmmm... beer and water huh? A kolsch is supposed to be crisp a dry, but certainly not watery. What was your bottling procedure like? Has your beer had a full 3 weeks in the bottle at 70F? Under carbonated beer can sometimes taste watery.

About 1 week now, I sampled one last night, a little hiss when I popped the top. Not any head to speak of, poured slow to leave residue. Taste is good, but weak. Probably be good in the hot summer months. Could it be a little flat?

Sounds like they're just not done carbonating yet. Give them a few more weeks at 70F+ if possible, and then chill in the fridge a few days after that before drinking. Cheers!

+1 to that. One week isn't enough time in the bottle for proper carbonation. 3 weeks at 70F is the minimum. And then another 2 days minimum in the fridge.

You guys are right on the money... I tried one last night and it had much more flavor and nice lacing... this is encouraging now! Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

Back