Brewer's Best Kolsch in secondary. What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordancwilk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of my second brew and could use a little guidance. After fermentation (which seemed to be wrapped up after 3 or 4 days) I transferred my wort to a secondary 5 gal glass carboy. Haven't seen any action, and assume that this is normal for a secondary. I'm hoping it will help clear the beer. Right now it's looking very dark for a kolsch. Is this normal?

How long should I let it sit in the secondary? Should I add gelatin to help it clear? Any help would be appreciated. Excited about the new hobby and hope to learn a lot here.

Cheers. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402883176.589431.jpg

The darkness is due, most likely, to the length of the path that the light has to travel in the beer. It looked lighter in the racking hose, didn't it? Shorter path length.

There is no need to go to a secondary fermenter at all, and even if you use one, it's usually better to let the beer sit a little longer in the primary (a week or two), before moving to a secondary, to help clean up any off flavors.

As for clarification, as the good people at Southern Star Brewing say, "Clarity is overrated." But if you insist - What yeast came with the kit? US-05 tends to take a while to settle, and you might use gelatin after a couple of weeks in the primary. BRY-97 and Nottingham are a little more flocculent, and you might not feel a need for any fining.

Thanks. It was definitely lighter in the hose, but still a bit darker than most kölschs that I have seen. I used the dry yeast that came with the kit (because I couldn't find a better liquid yeast at the time). It was Nottingham but I don't remember which specifically.

Since I've already moved to secondary I think I'll just let it sit for another week or two? Then assess the clarity.

Nottingham is a Danstar brand yeast - probably the second most beloved of home brewing yeasts (after Fermentis US-05). It is an English yeast, and probably the most neutral of English yeasts. It is at its best in lighter English styles, where there is a minimum call for fruitiness. Take notes on what was in the kit and what the beer tastes like - you can try it again, if you have a mind to, and use another neutral ale yeast (e.g. US-05 or BRY-97) or a real Koelsch yeast (e.g. Wyeast 2565) for comparison.

Yes, let it sit for a week or two. With Nottingham, it should drop pretty clear.

Thanks. If I like it I think I'll try another with the wyeast kolsch yeast you suggested.

Back