Brewers best german oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwtowler

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone
Out there has made this recipe as an ale and if so what time did it spend in primary and secondary. Any help would be great, new to brewing game. Thanks

Oktoberfest should be a clean, lagered style. But making a lager with an ale yeast will work- it just won't be a traditional Oktoberfest. Putting the fermenter in a bucket with ice is easy to lager- give it a try, lots of good videos on the net how to lager.

Recently bottled this one, still waiting on it to carbonate. Its my first kit, so we'll see how I did. Went a week in primary down in my basement around 60-65 degrees. Moved to secondary in the basement for a few days and then out in the garage fridge for a week. Up here in NY I don't have any way of keeping my garage fridge from dropping too low when it is bitter cold out, so I didn't go as long out there as I would have liked. The kit says that it will work at ale temps too. I'm not sure what yeast comes in the kit. I'm happy with the results so far, and it looked nice and clear at bottling.

Tasted after a week in the bottle. Has a cidery taste to it. I'm hoping that will settle out with time. I am going to stick with ales until I get a keezer built though. Once i get enough bottles for a second batch saved up I will be trying a simple red ale.

What type of yeast did you use. My kit came with a lager yeast , but the directions said it will work fine brewed as a ale. And also my kit only came with 1 kind of hopps 2 willamette

Recently bottled this one, still waiting on it to carbonate. Its my first kit, so we'll see how I did. Went a week in primary down in my basement around 60-65 degrees. Moved to secondary in the basement for a few days and then out in the garage fridge for a week. Up here in NY I don't have any way of keeping my garage fridge from dropping too low when it is bitter cold out, so I didn't go as long out there as I would have liked. The kit says that it will work at ale temps too. I'm not sure what yeast comes in the kit. I'm happy with the results so far, and it looked nice and clear at bottling.

I decided to do my first home brew with this German Oktoberfest (currently 24 hours into primary fermentation) I found out when it was too late that I was unable to ferment lager style so I’ve got it sitting at 64 right now fermenting as an ale.. how will I know when to transfer it to secondary ?

You really don't need to transfer to secondary, you can leave it in primary for 2 months or more to settle out, then bottle it. That will leave little trub to settle in the bottles or keg. If you bottle, put several bottles at a time into the refrigerator for a few days to let any chill haze settle out before drinking.

Back