Brewed my first NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
Turned out great. Still need to perfect the process a little though.
The beer has been kegged for a little over a month and I've noticed that it's starting to lose the haze. It's getting clearer.
Is this normal for a NEIPA after it sits for a bit?

it'll clear to a point as things settle out.

you notice the change of flavor yet as things settle (not caused by oxygen)

a month! how bad is it that it has lasted a month? send me a bottle to evaluate!! (jk)

Turned out great. Still need to perfect the process a little though.
The beer has been kegged for a little over a month and I've noticed that it's starting to lose the haze. It's getting clearer.
Is this normal for a NEIPA after it sits for a bit?

I bottled an entire keg of NEIPA middle of April. I had a bomber leftover that I opened the other night. Sumbitch was as clear as a west coast! But yeah they do clear up. Or at least I've heard. I'm still on a quest for perma-haze.

Haze depends on a few factors such as yeast, oats/wheat additions, and hop schedule. I've only had 1 NE IPA (of 3) clear up on me, and that was when I used Wyeast 1056 instead of 1318.

Haze depends on a few factors such as yeast, oats/wheat additions, and hop schedule. I've only had 1 NE IPA (of 3) clear up on me, and that was when I used Wyeast 1056 instead of 1318.

So you've never had one with 1318 clear up? This gives me hope. I'm doing my 5th NEIPA this weekend (first time using 1318) and hoping I get some perma-haze.

What percentage of your grist is flaked oats? Thanks.

I haven't had one clear, but none had lasted more than a month. I use 1318, dry hop during active fermentation and include flaked oats and wheat. This is one of my last draws com the last one.

20170506_154836.jpg

How soon after fermenting are you all drinking these? And how are you carbonating? (bottle or forced).

How soon after fermenting are you all drinking these? And how are you carbonating? (bottle or forced).
As soon as it's done fermenting, I cold crash for 24-48 hours, then keg. Force carb it for 24-36 hours, reduce to serving pressure. So I'm usually drinking within 3 days after it's done.

ETA: I've never bottled an NEIPA (other than bottling off the keg), I would imagine it's tough to do these beers without kegging. Not saying it can't be done. I've got a buddy who bottles and he's doing solid NEIPAs. Just don't know how long they hold up in the bottle.

So you've never had one with 1318 clear up? This gives me hope. I'm doing my 5th NEIPA this weekend (first time using 1318) and hoping I get some perma-haze.

What percentage of your grist is flaked oats? Thanks.

Mine clear up using 1318, not American IPA clear but not like week one haze either.

I just give the keg a shake and it kicks everything back up, flavor comes back, haze comes back.

Slightly off topic, but didnt want to start another NEIPA thread....... I have a picnic coming up on August 5th. I was asked to brew a beer for it and I have decided to brew another NEIPA.
My question: If I brew the NEIPA this weekend (6/24/17), do you think it is too early? Im not terribly concerned with haze/color because unfortunately, the picnic grounds do not allow glass. So everyone will either be drinking out of stainless cups or solo cups.
I'm more concerned with the hop profile and I want them to shine.

I'd try and wait one more week, if possible. However, I don't think it'll make that much a difference if you do a closed transfer between the fermenter and the keg.

I'd try and wait one more week, if possible. However, I don't think it'll make that much a difference if you do a closed transfer between the fermenter and the keg.

Really? 11 days is too long. I feel like im pushing it when I cold crash on the 13th day. 14 days i think is the sweet spot for max hoppy goodness but not too green.

Never mind. I cant read calendars. Ha!

Slightly off topic, but didnt want to start another NEIPA thread....... I have a picnic coming up on August 5th. I was asked to brew a beer for it and I have decided to brew another NEIPA.
My question: If I brew the NEIPA this weekend (6/24/17), do you think it is too early? Im not terribly concerned with haze/color because unfortunately, the picnic grounds do not allow glass. So everyone will either be drinking out of stainless cups or solo cups.
I'm more concerned with the hop profile and I want them to shine.

I would brew it on July 15th. 14 days to ferment, 2 days to crash it, 2 days to carb it, and a little buffer in there to manage any unknowns. Should be pure liquid sunshine when you tap it.

Back