Brewday Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooklife

Reaction score
I am brewing a Brewers Best kolsch. I was told to put the wort into a carboy and after 7 days transfer it into a secondary carboy. Are their Any cons to moving a kolsch into a secondary fermenter? I plan to siphon straight from the secondary into the bottles on bottling day as well

I brewed the same kit for my first beer. I waited 9 days and racked it to secondary/clarification. There is no reason to move it to a secondary if you don't have to. I moved mine to open up my primary vessel to make another brew. I'd give it at least a week if you do intend to transfer but if you don't have to then I wouldn't.

A better plan would be to let it stay in primary for 3+ weeks then cold crash for a couple of days (if you have the ability to do so) then transfer to a bottling bucket so you can add your priming sugar and bottle.

Back