Brewday from hell -or close to it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightbiker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Started nice and early (well for me, it was about noon -but then I'm a night-shift worker) and got the rig ready, crushed grains, got the mash going (played hell trying to hit my temps though -just couldn't dial them in for some reason) -sparged and began the temp run-up to boil -then realized I'd not yet set my hop schedules up (I like to have little bins for each addition/time -from the hops to kettle finings or whatever else I'm putting in there) -realized I'd left them out of the freezer from my aborted attempt to brew a couple of days ago (oldest dog started pooping blood -had to stop and rush her to the vet) -after I located the hops, discovered that a rat had gnawed open the container. Sigh. Off to the brew shop. Start the boil, and in the interest of saving time, cleaned the mash tun, and put the grains for batch #2 into it, and started dough-in for the mash.
It had drizzled a bit, and I was barefoot (stupid on my part) -I must have a short somewhere in the rig because I got zapped pretty good when I went to hit the switch for the recirculating (HERMS) pump. Knocked me on my posterior -AND knocked over my beer. Had more trouble with mash temps on the second batch (sigh -I've never had trouble before). AFTER chilling the wort, aerating, then pitching the yeast, I went to put the airlock on the fermenting bucket and my airlock cracked right down the side :(. I retrieved a spare, and when I put it in the lid, it pushed the grommet through and into the beer-to-be. -I retrieve another, mend the lid and (finally) put that bucket into the fermenting chest-freezer. By the end of the day, I was so disgusted (ran out of gas, had to retrieve a full tank and hook it up) I just sparged the second batch of grains into a fermenting bucket, sealed the lid and decided I'd conduct that boil tomorrow morning. I'm off until tues anyway.
Sigh, about the only thing I DIDN'T break was my hydrometer. -oh crap. I totally forgot to get my starting gravity. To heck with it. I don't really care right now. It will be a good beer just the same.
Some days just go poorly. I'm really happy to see this one gone.
'preciate letting me vent.
ON a more positive note, one of my brothers was at an auction, bought a small trailer full of uh, odds and ends... and discovered a cardboard box full of beer towers (3) and a number of faucets, assorted parts, and a couple of drain trays. He has no use for them and asked if I might like to have them.
I'll have to reward him with a growler when the porter is ready.

You should send it in to Basic Brewing Radio. I love when James and Steve do the brewing nightmares.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

I'll take a rough/bad day of home brewing to my best day at work anytime!! :mug:

I call BS. The worst day home brewing??? I picture 3rd degree burns all over your legs and feet, major lacerations from busted carboys on your arms and chest, you get arrested for suspicion of running a meth lab or still, with a bunch of fines for things you can't fight like "disorderly conduct", most of your gear gets confiscated as evidence or destroyed in the blazing fire that was created when your boil kettle erupted like Mt. Saint Helens. The ONLY way this could be true is if you work on a boat that is on the show "The Deadliest Catch", which I find unlikely.

@ the OP things could be worse... :ban:

I call BS. The worst day home brewing??? I picture 3rd degree burns all over your legs and feet, major lacerations from busted carboys on your arms and chest, you get arrested for suspicion of running a meth lab or still, with a bunch of fines for things you can't fight like "disorderly conduct", most of your gear gets confiscated as evidence or destroyed in the blazing fire that was created when your boil kettle erupted like Mt. Saint Helens. The ONLY way this could be true is if you work on a boat that is on the show "The Deadliest Catch", which I find unlikely.

@ the OP things could be worse... :ban:

I don't think he meant it to be taken that literally.

Well, Zamial, those would truly be brewdays from hell. I've never been burned on one (thank heavens) though the electrical shock I received yesterday darn near knocked the piss outta me, and I HAVE had Drug Enforcement Agents appear at my door claiming they were tipped off to a possible meth lab (I gave 'em a tour of the brewing process -they were intrigued by the temp-controlled fermenter (chest freezer) and my party-keg cooler. One asked for details on how to get started in brewing.
Other than the fact that they woke me (I work nights, so was sleeping)

On my worst brewday I was brewing a doppelbock. I ended up calling it "Exasperator."

But it was not nearly as bad as yours.

You should send it in to Basic Brewing Radio. I love when James and Steve do the brewing nightmares.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

most of your gear gets confiscated as evidence or destroyed in the blazing fire that was created when your boil kettle erupted like Mt. Saint Helens.

Combine the two, and it reminds me of the one on the recent brewing disasters Basic Brewing Radio podcast. Something along the lines of "I walked back upstairs to find my stove is on fire"

Is that an electric rig? Maybe that short is causing your temp problems too? Be careful!!!

No, gas-fired (heat-exchanger for the HERMS is in my HLT which I usually top off after the mash starts, and use all that mass to help control temps (I use a bypass valve to shunt the recirculating wort away from the heat exchange coil when needed).
I use a pair of march pumps to move the wort around. AFTER I boiled the wort I let sit for a night, I crawled under the rig and found where one of my wire caps had come off, must have gotten wet. I'm lucky it didn't kill me. Even as it was, my heart skipped beats for most of the remaining evening (I have A-fib RVR, and make use of an internal automatic defibrillator (hurts like the dickens when it fires, but I'm told it beats dying. -even though at the time I have my doubts :D ) When the bugger fires, it paces for a bit until my heart catches up -its a ventricular-only pacer, and I'm pretty much done for the day after crap like that anyway. FORTUNATELY it hasn't happened often. For a nurse, I'm a pretty lousy patient (last time it happened, I insisted on finishing my brewday because my house-keg was pushing the empty mark -beer is serious business, after all). First time it happened was shortly after I got home from work (MY evening ends when I get off shift in the morning, I pull a pint of homebrew, sit at the computer and read the news -by the time my beer is done, I've unwound, and grab a shower and hit the sack. THAT morning I'd taken all of one gulp of beer, woke up on the floor with my dog licking my face and a lot of soreness in my chest. Spent the next few days in the hospital while they loaded me up on amiodarone for the A-fib. sigh. Didn't even get to finish my beer.

Combine the two, and it reminds me of the one on the recent brewing disasters Basic Brewing Radio podcast. Something along the lines of "I walked back upstairs to find my stove is on fire"

Hehehe. I could easily see that happening. Back when I first started doing stove-top brewing, my very first boil-over, wort really stinks up the house when it hits those burner coils -I had to work mighty hard to make up for that one -and SWMBO STILL reminds me of it from time to time.

Back