Brewbakers in Huntington Beach - New Ownership?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinness10

Reaction score
Anyone in the Huntington Beach area know if Brewbakers is worth a visit now that they're under new ownership? I went once, years ago, and wasn't too impressed with the experience. And that was before I started brewing my own beer. Now, though, I've seen they are under new ownership and I was contemplating a gift certificate for my dad for Father's Day. Yeah, I COULD brew with him and my brother at home, but I like the idea of kind of going on autopilot and being able to just visit without the cleanup and whatnot.

So, what say you, fellow Orange County brewers? Have you been to Brewbakers since it changed hands? Thumbs up, or down?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In a round about way, brewbakers got me into brewing. My buddy asked me if I wanted to try his "homebrew". I did and it was horrible. Metallic tasting horrible. I found out he brewed it at brew bakers, which is basically going to the place, picking the ingredients, and then the owners do the rest for you....meaning, some of the most important steps like sanitation, possible oxidation etc, are completely out of your hands.
I thought I could do better, and started researching the process, now addicted. I guess it is cool for a quick, fun novelty, but if you are a true homebrewer a place like this is like a TV dinner compared to a great home cooked meal.

I am friends with the new owner and am excited for him. He's a great fit for the place. You can already see improvements in there and it should only get better with time. His vision is to start a community for home brewers and craft beer fans.

A friend of mine has brewed there since the change in ownership and that looks to be improving too. There was much more attention to detail, they dry hopped the beer, and paid close attention during the fermentation and carbing periods. Previously the product was just rushed out with little care given.

I say give it another shot. Just keep in mind that the place was run into the ground and it will take time to completely turn it around.

Thanks for the replies. Fordmi, that's the kind of info I'm interested in. I'm glad to hear someone actually knows the new owner(s). It sounds like they're trying to turn it around. I want to support local businesses, so maybe I'll check in with them to see what's what. Thanks again!

Just to clarify, it is a very cool business idea and very fun for the lay person or someone getting interested in brewing. Just not for the established home brewer.

I hope you find it a better experience than last time.

For what it's worth, the owner Manny, is the owner of Revel Brewing Co which is going to open up next door. He makes some top quality beers with multiple awards under his belt. He is almost always there when I stop by and although he's always busy, he's usually happy to stop and chat beer.

Cool, maybe I'll stop by. Would be cool if they started selling grain, hops, and yeast. Save me a trip to stein fillers.

I won't say for sure, but under the old owners, they did. They will almost definitely sell you yeast or hops if you're in a pinch.

The thing is that they're partial mash there so they don't have a huge supply of grain.

Side note: How do you like stienfillers? I go to addison and have been wanting to check out stienfillers for a while now. They're about the same distance from my house, but Bootleggers is right down the road from Addison :)

Ah, good question. I've been going to Addison as well, but I've wanted to check out Steinfillers too. I'm curious to hear your opinion.

I've never been to any other brewshop because SF is on my way home from work. There grain always seems fresh ( I tried to attach their grain sheet below). They have an OK selection of both white labs and wyeast. Never needed hops that they don't have but not sure where they get them from. Not hop union. Pretty high turnover. Happy overall.

image.jpg

Thanks.

I guess my urgency isn't increased to go check them out, but I will eventually. I kinda have a good thing going with heading to Addison for my homebrew needs then stopping off at bootleggers after. Especially if someone else is driving! :)

Back