Brew temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclefrank

Reaction score
I'm ready to start my next project for this winter. Can anyone recommend a beer that would ferment at around 58 degrees? I'm kinda cheap, so thats what I keep the temp at in my house. Thanx

damn... wish i could keep my house around 58 degrees in the winter. I sometimes has to turn the A/C on :)

Just go buy you a heating pad and sit your caboy on top of it and adjust the temp of the heating pad to get your fermentation temp right. Then you can brew any ale.

Your 58 degree is above lager temp and less than ale temps.

doesn't California Common yeast ferment a little lower than most ale yeasts, like somewhere in the 60 degree range? Seems like time to make a Steam Bock.

Lots of yeast choices, so plan your beer around those styles. Tradiotionally, people would do ales in the warm weather and lagers in the winter.

2035 American Lager Yeast. Bold, complex and aromatic, good depth of flavor characteristics for a variety of lager beers. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (48-58º F, 9-14° C)

2112 California Lager Yeast. Particularly suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers. Retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65° F, (18° C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (58-68° F, 14-20° C)

1728 Scottish Ale Yeast. Ideally suited for Scottish-style ales, and high-gravity ales of all types. Can be estery with warm fermentation temperatures. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 69-73%. (55-75° F, 13-24° C)
2565 Kölsch Yeast.
Probable origin: Cologne, Germany
Beer Styles: Traditional American use - Kölsch, Fruit beers, Light pseudo lagers
Commercial examples may include: Kess, Paffgen, Muhlen
Unique properties: True top cropping yeast similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature increase. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Also ferments well at cold 55-60° F range,

1214 Belgian Ale Yeast. Abbey-style top-fermenting yeast, suitable for high-gravity beers. Estery, great complexity with very good alcohol tolerance. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 72-76%. (58-78° F, 14-24° C)

I would guess with anything other then lager yeast if ya pitch at about 70 degrees and wrap a blanket around your fermentor you shouldnt run into many problems with your beer since the yeast actually generate heat while they have their party

Back