brew system trade offs - what to build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdowling

Reaction score
Sorry, couldn't think of a good title. I've been lurking a while. Anyway - here's my situation.

Right now I use a completely unconverted 8 gallon pot, a rectangle cooler MLT + RIMS tube (just built it), and a 15 gallon aluminum bayou classic. I've been wanting to move to all stainless for my containers.

I had been planning a 2 vessel + 2x RIMS tube system (1 tube providing hot water on demand at low flow rates to replace the HLT). I've also been intending to go all electric.

I'd been hunting around for deals on vessels & I found someone who had 4 kegs (which he assured me he acquired legally... but who knows I guess) and he didn't want to split them up but it was a deal so I went for it.

One of my motivators to replace the HLT with a DIY on-demand setup was that when I priced all the components it was less expensive (by a little) to do the 2nd tube. Also I felt like I wouldn't be wasting as much water. Looking at Kal's electric brewery it seemed like quite a lot of water is just down the drain (I do have quite a lot of garden space though so I could use waste water as plant feed :) ). Also - it seemed like a kind of fun project.

So, at this point I'm not sure what my best option is. It seems like a 'traditional' 3 vessel system might make sense at this point since I have 4 kegs now anyway & the cost of my vessel for a HLT is much lower than originally anticipated. That would let me play with RIMS vs. HERMS if I wanted to at some point.

Another aspect I've been debating is side vs. bottom outlets. I think that I'm likely to just flip the kegs upside down and attach ball valves to the built in sanitary fitting. No messing with dip tubes & I can plan my brew sculpture around that set up.

CIP would be nice (it's a motivator for my move to all stainless for the kettles).

From a financial perspective - I want to sink as little additional money as possible at this point. I have a bunch of valves, a couple weldless kits, a 120VAC RIMS system (for MLT).

I could also continue with the 2 vessel approach and use 2 kegs as fermenters.

I could try to resell 2 kegs to defray costs.

I could do something I hadn't thought of yet... heh

So, I suppose that's a bit ramble-y but I guess what I'm asking for is if anyone has experience with different configurations and how they've worked out.

From reading around on these boards it seems like 2v+2RIMS works just as well as 3v.

RIMS vs. HERMS seems like personal preference more or less.

Basically - I just don't want to build a set up then find out I'm not happy with it or it doesn't work right for some reason :p. Since I acquired extra vessels from my plan it's sort of re-opened all the decisions I'd been settled on.

Thanks for any advice :mug:

A big issue will be the on-demand water supply. There aren't any inexpensive ones that can deliver water at the temps you need. All the info sheets you see on the units specify gpm and sometimes max temp, but if you call them you'll find out the devices can't do both at the same time. And if you want 170-180F spargewater, none of them can do that.

There's a small brewery in San Diego that has a commercial ondemand water heater, but they have to keep the unit going all night and save the water in an insulated tank before they can get enough water. Granted that's more than we'll ever need, but then again they spend 10's of thousands on it.

Well what I'd been figuring was I'd build my own on demand hot water heater. I saw some threads about folks who'd done the same. Basically you take a RIMS tube but you cram a 5500W element in there and run it at like 1-2 quarts / minute. It sounded like it could hit the temps anyway. I just don't have any direct experience with it.

I did some thinking since I posted the OP and since I have the vessels for it anyway I'm just going to go for a 3 vessel system. Bottom drain for at least the HLT and MLT. Maybe the BK as well so long as I can figure out a reasonable way to keep all the gunk out of the fermenter.

If I end up wanting to play with a HLT-less system I still could down the road and maybe I could sell the extra pot or set up 2 full brew rigs for having friends over :mug:.

Bottom drain on the MLT is a great feature, makes it easier to clean and you'll get every last bit out. For the BK if you use a false bottom (by using the "bottom" you cut out and hitting it with an angle grinder), possibly a scrubby on the port, and a hop back + rice hulls/leaf hops you'll be ok.

If you go the DIY on-demand water please post info. I'm contemplating it myself.

Latest posts

Back