Brew Stand build questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
Has anyone used the CONCORD 10" Banjo Burner Head? It looks like the BG14, but its a tad cheaper. Rather that mount it from the tabs on the side, this one has screw hole under neath. Other than that, it seems the same.

I'm planning to build a gravity fed, 3 tier brew stand. I'd be using the Concord or BG14 on the HLT. Which would be on the top. How much space is needed between the bottom of the pot and burning head? I'd like to install a wind shield and I was thinking of using an old 20 lb propane tank. They are perfectly round and are about 12" wide. I'd just cut the top and bottom off and use the tube to surround the burner.

Thanks

Bob

fwiw, Blichmann uses the same burners and they set their pot rests 2-3/4" above the burner tips.
This works great for flat-bottomed kettles, but apparently not so much for keggles...

Cheers!

Think about air flow - there are a number of us that have had to add inch square tubing bars after the fact to get kettles high enough to allow a good burn.

Also, be sure to leave a path to get a lighter in there so each start up doesn't smell like you burnt all the tiny hairs off your hand... ask me how I know... :)

The spacing from burner to kettle bottom is a different issue than providing sufficient exhaust flow. You can easily solve the former while having a major problem with the latter.

A common example is resting the kettle on a frame sized such that the kettle almost completely covers the opening leaving only the corners open. That's likely the scenario calgary222 was referring to adding spacers to elevate the pot enough to allow exhaust to flow around it, rather than rolling under the frame...

Cheers!

All I know, now that I'm committing to the back venting, is that if I don't see heat waves the scale of Top Gun and I can't get a name on the side of her fuselage, I'm going to be seriously pi$$ed. :rockin:

Back