Brew stand build, in progress with pictures!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmDubeu

Reaction score
Here's my brew stand build from the start. I'll update the thread as I progress through the build.

Design:
The stand will be a horizontal, single-tier design that will have three lpg burners and will hold a HLT, MT, and BK.
Everything is stainless steel.

The design was engineered by my mechanical engineer brew buddy and I in a 3D cad program.

My brew buddy works for a local company in Vancouver that specializes in stainless steel carts for the medical industry. We will use his employer's shop and laborers to do the following:

Each part will be laser cut by a computerized system based upon the 3D design.

Parts that require bending will be done by a mechanical press to ensure clean lines/bends.

The brew stand will be welded by professional stainless steel welders.

Metal will be acquired at "scrap" costs or at direct bulk costs from the my brew buddy's employer ($0.13 per pound).

The brew stand will also have a pot filler faucet attached to a filtered water line. The faucet will only need to fill the HLT and MT kettles.

There will be two chugger pumps mounted to the base plate of the brew stand. Both pumps will be protected by a stainless steel drip shields with ample room for the pump to "breathe". The pumps will also be mounted in a manner that allows the pump head to be mounted horizontal or vertical.

The brew stand will have a control box mounting bar which will be attached to a flat panel tv mount.This will allow the control box to articulate in a multitude of positions. The control box itself has switches for the pumps, the HLT electric heating element and will also hold the PID (Johnson temperature controller for the electric heating element). All the wiring from the pumps will pass under the brew stand and up inside the control box mount bar.

High grade, fully articulating locking casters all the way around. All casters will break and lock in place.
Stainless steel wind guards will hold and protect the lpg burners. These will also help direct the heat where it needs to go.

Each burner will be electronically ignited by peizo igniters which will be connected to a battery operated spark igniter module. The spark module will be mounted on the front of the brew stand.

Typical black pipe, valves and bendy hose will be used to deploy lp gas to the burners.

On the base of the brew stand there will be a mounted stainless steel convoluted cross flow chiller.

On the upper portion of the brew stand there will be removable stainless steel plates under each section where the kettles rest. This will help direct the heat to the bottom of the kettle and not wash (heat wash) up to the pid thermometer, valves, and thermometers.

The spaces between where the kettles go will also have removable plates so they can be easily removed and cleaned.

Current status - February 25th, 2014

Just a quick update with my progress of the all stainless steel brew stand I'm building. Today some of the parts were laser cut and machine bent. I now have some of the bottom shelf supports, wind guards, burner support brackets and igniter wire guides done. The rest of the laser cut parts will be finished by the end of this week.

Next week I'll have my welder put it all together.

My next thing to design in the meantime is the lp gas manifold. I may need some recommendations on valves, regulators and such. I'll post more details as the project progresses

Brew Stand.JPG

pot filler faucet view.JPG

20131227_192824.jpg

20140225_121853.jpg

Laser machine cutting out some of the parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video of one of the shelf brackets. This bracket was designed so that the wires from the pumps could pass through the bracket.

[ame="http://youtu.be/kt0tK9bylqw"]http://youtu.be/kt0tK9bylqw[/ame]

Hey, we have one of those Trumpf machines at work, 'cept ours is a "True Punch", as the feds have not approved lasers for the cutting of aircraft structural metals.

Punches out parts, and you de-burr them manually, ( same as a laser, I'm guessin'), and bend them up.

Looks good!

Here's some more pics of some parts that got laser cut and bent today. The first pic are the burner covers that prevent heat wash up the kettle and the second pic are the burner brackets and igniter wire guides.

1393468075701.jpg

1393468090770.jpg

Tomorrow (today I guess since it's midnight) I'll get the windcovers rollpressed so they will fit my lp gas burners. I should have some video of that.

This is awesome! So cool to see the abilities and tools some people have access to.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's some image and one video of the burner cover.

The burner cover sits on top of the brew stand just above each burner and it helps dissipate the heat from the burner. The first image is the cad drawing showing the burner cover.

The second image is the burner cover after it was laser cut and the link is to a video of the burner cover being formed.

Burner Cover cad design.jpg

20140225_174014_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an update to the design. We added the lp gas line and valves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

1393886857515.jpg

With kettles

1393886949592.jpg

There's been some delays at the shop. Nothing new to show. Apparently, they also have a business to run so my brew stand isn't their top priority...

Here's an image of the lower shelf supports, which have slots cut out to allow pump electrical cords to pass through. The small holes are for zip ties... :)

shelf support with cord passthrough.jpg

We got some more parts made today. Here's some images of the burner wind guards after being laser cut and roll pressed. And there's a pic of the beast that roll pressed them.

1394060131704.jpg

1394060144425.jpg

1394060188126.jpg

Looks killer! :mug:

I'll be interested in how your lpg manifold works out as I'm in the process of designing one myself.

Some more pics from a dry fit at the shop today. It's coming together... We're going to weld next week.

1394264310613.jpg

1394264323280.jpg

From all the drawings and then the pictures, it appears the plan is to have the pots covering the holes in these plates.
184423d1394264311-brew-stand-build-progress-pictures-1394264310613.jpg

This will be a problem. There is no provision for combustion exhaust evident in the design, given the tops of the windscreens appear to be pretty close to those top plates.

This comes up fairly often and usually late in the build (like, after). Inevitably there are band-aids applied - typically spacer bars applied to the top surface to elevate the pot enough to let the burners breath.

So you might want to give that some consideration before you wrap up your build...

Cheers!

From all the drawings and then the pictures, it appears the plan is to have the pots covering the holes in these plates.
184423d1394264311-brew-stand-build-progress-pictures-1394264310613.jpg

This will be a problem. There is no provision for combustion exhaust evident in the design, given the tops of the windscreens appear to be pretty close to those top plates.

This comes up fairly often and usually late in the build (like, after). Inevitably there are band-aids applied - typically spacer bars applied to the top surface to elevate the pot enough to let the burners breath.

So you might want to give that some consideration before you wrap up your build...

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. We've thought about this too. Luckily, we designed the burner top to be removable. We can either use it or not. As a whole, the brew stand we are building is a prototype, and so are all the parts, ie the burner cover. We will certainly be tweaking what needs tweaking during the build, as well as after it's finished.

As for myself, I'm a little concerned about the pump covers. There might not be enough room between the pump and the cover to allow for air movement. Meh, we'll see how it works on brew day.

Tested the burner covers on one of our old blichmann burners. Put one of my blichmann boil master kettles on top of the burner cover, with the burner going below, and I saw no difference compared to the kettle not on the burner cover. I'm pretty sure this is because there's an inch gap from the top of the wind guard and the kettle bottom. I'm satisfied with the design so far. Here's a video of the kettle on top of the burner cover. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdCsKtgiweQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Good looking flame for sure, but the heat plume will emanate from under the top frame rails as there's no other way out. With a stainless frame there won't be any real problem with that, but don't stand too close lest you get singed...

Cheers! ;)

Laser cut and formed pump cover. Fits both Chugger and March pumps. I will post some other pics of the cover around a pump. No problems with pump over heating because of lack of air movement around the pump and cover. Take that, naysayers...

1394553821668.jpg

1394553878597.jpg

Bottom shelf was laser cut today. Notice the channels next to a larger diameter hole? This will be where the pumps will be mounted and the pump power cable will drop down through. The channel holes will allow the pump, and its cover, to slide forward and backwards. This will be to accommodate the pump head being mounted horizontally or vertically. In the pic foreground, you can see the burner wind guards.

1394561476883.jpg

What is the thickness of the metal, that your burner plates are made of?

I was saying the heat will probably warp / wrinkle them, around the cutout, after a few heat cycles..........Hence the "wrinkled" analogy.

What is the thickness of the metal, that your burner plates are made of?

I was saying the heat will probably warp / wrinkle them, around the cutout, after a few heat cycles..........Hence the "wrinkled" analogy.

12 Guage. I don't think we'll have a problem with warpage. If we do, the covers can easily be redesigned. This part is totally plug and play with the brew stand.

Latest posts

Back