Brew room yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisjonesjr

Reaction score
Does your brew room develop it's own yeast culture in the air after you have been brewing with the same yeast for awhile? I have been using Nottingham a lot lately.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch and let it cool down in the bucket over night. In the morning I opened the lid to check the temp and gravity. Everything looked fine. About 7 hours later I opened it again to pitch the yeast and found what look to be Nottingham yeast already fermenting away (see picture). I went ahead and pitched my packet of yeast on top and mixed it together. I think I might have to open ferment with what ever my brew collects in there next time lol RDWHAHB Cheers!

IMAG0352.jpg

In one of my past places I lived....the basement did develop a open air yeast/bacteria strain that to this day I am sad I did not find a way to save. It made a great farmhouse/sour beer. The only suggestion is that if you do not want that infection on all of your beers......clean the area in your brew room very well....and if it turns out well...keep a sample of the strain.

Air lock smells great today so I'm sure it's just a Nottingham strain living in my brew room. :p What kind of sour beer did you make?

Well not really sure what to call the sour beer.....it started out as a American Pale or American Red (what ever you want to call it).....and the final taste was somewhere between a Flemish sour and a Farmhouse....over all pretty good if you are one of those who likes the more sour/funky beers. My Wife loved it...and to this day teases me about how I did not save the yeast/bacteria strain. And to be honest save more bottles of it.........I just thought it got bad infection and tossed most of it, the infection/wild yeast happened some point during bottling.

Back