Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspence1

Reaction score
I was searching for a brew pot and came across this will this be a good pot for me? It seems like a good price.

Thanks
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that pot would work great for you...at 15 gallons, it's a perfect size for 5 or 10 gallon batches. Before you make the purchase, I'd check around on Craigslist or wherever for a Keg. They are stainless steel and make great "keggles", and can sometimes be found for under $50.

I think that pot would work great for you...at 15 gallons, it's a perfect size for 5 or 10 gallon batches. Before you make the purchase, I'd check around on Craigslist or wherever for a Keg. They are stainless steel and make great "keggles", and can sometimes be found for under $50.

I've been looking on craigslist all I've ever seen have been "wanted" ADs It's really hard to find decent used equipment around here (Canada). I'm usually able to find it for the same price online as I can find it here used. I was looking at stainless but for the price of that pot I thought I'd go with it.

WOW. I might sell my keggle thru the local brewclub, and get that. My burner doesn't like heating my heavy keggle. Too few BTUs I think. Or just too thick metal.

I was surprised when I called the boss and she said "buy it" Must be the guilt of being away on business next week......I wonder what else I can get out of it.

John

This looks like a real good deal. My only question is about the dimensions of the pot. After some searching I found that it's 18 1/2" diameter x 17" tall. Would this ratio of height to width be a problem? There will be a lot of surface area that will increase the boil off.

Edit:
They make a Stainless 60qt that's 16 1/4" diameter x 18 1/2" tall. That seems more reasonable. What are the dimensions of a keggle?

where did you find the 18.5 X 17 dimensions? the only sizes I found were the 16.5 x 18.5. If it is 18.5 I'll find a way to make it work ;) I believe a keg is 16.5 but I'm not positive. I'll update you when I get it as to the size.

John

where did you find the 18.5 X 17 dimensions? the only sizes I found were the 16.5 x 18.5. If it is 18.5 I'll find a way to make it work ;) I believe a keg is 16.5 but I'm not positive. I'll update you when I get it as to the size.

John

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=6KK-KK60&source=bizrate&kw=6KK-KK60

King Kooker® aluminum boiling pots are the choice for those who demand the highest quality products for their outdoor cooking needs. These heavy-duty boiling pots feature commercial strength aluminum, recessed lid, heavy-duty riveted handles, and punched aluminum baskets.

This 60-quart boiling pot is 18 ½” in diameter and stands 17” tall. These versatile boiling pots give you two options of cooking methods, steaming and boiling. Steam lobster, shrimp, crawfish, and corn or remove the basket and boil soups, stews, jambalaya and gumbo.

Edit:
Although I'm guessing that the 18 1/2" diameter is to the lip.

Just playing with the number on this. Area conversions to gallons. If you allow 1 1/2" for the lip and wall thickness that makes the inside diameter 17". For a 15 gallon pot that would make the height about 15 1/2". That would allow 1 1/2" for the lid and handle.

That's one stubby pot!

Am I thinking way too much about this, or what :drunk:

I can't see the boil off being too much of a problem as it was designed for boiling but I'm no expert. if need be I'll just add some extra water to compensate for it.

JOHN

So, does anyone see a problem with this aluminum pot having such a big diameter and being short?

Sounds like my 'ex wife your talking about, sorry guys couldn't resist.

My way of thinking the more keg mass besides less heat transfer of a SS keggle vs alumimum would hold your temps longer and more stable.
Ask 10 different people and get 10 different reasons.

The additional keg mass WOULD hold temps longer and more stably - but that's only really important if you're using it as a mash tun, right?

My problem is that even at full bore, my burner never heats my keggle past a gentle simmer, I don't ever get a true Rolling Boil.

A wider pot DOES result in more evaporation... but by compensating your numbers in BeerSmith (or Promash or whatever), you might notice a gain in brewhouse efficiency - Sparge more, collect more, get more sugars. I've been thinking about a wider, shorter kettle anyways.

Pretty sure that, if I can unload my keggle to another local brewer, that I might buy a kettle just like this one.

. . . Sparge more, collect more, get more sugars . . .
I'd be interested to know if there is any difference in the finished product between boiling longer and using a pot with more surface area?

My problem is that even at full bore, my burner never heats my keggle past a gentle simmer, I don't ever get a true Rolling Boil.
Sounds like you need a new burner not a new pot. What burner are you using?

Sounds like you need a new burner not a new pot. What burner are you using?

Bayou SQ14. I either have a defective unit, or it is just underpowered for 10g batches in my keggle. (NOTE! 5-gal still work fine! Just 10 gal aren't quite "oomphy" enough.) I haven't yet bought a Hurricane burner because I just bought the SQ14 to replace my old standard cast burner. So I figure if I sell the keggle and buy an aluminum pot, then I fix the issue acceptably. I love how fast my 7.5 gal fryer pot works. I just am starting to dabble in 10g batches and need a bigun.

Bayou SQ14. I either have a defective unit, or it is just underpowered for 10g batches in my keggle.
Same burner here. The most I've ever boiled is around 8 gallons, but it didn't have any problem. May be look into getting the 20psi regulator. Might be cheaper than the new pot, but I think there are people here boiling 10g with the SQ14.

Do you put a lid on when you bring it to a boil? I thought that a lid would speed up the boil time and from there i could boil uncovered.

John

I just started using the SQ14 burner. Using a lid, I can get 10 gal of wort boiling in under 40 min. Once boiling, I remove the lid and it keeps the wort at a rip-roaring boil.

Just playing with the number on this. Area conversions to gallons. If you allow 1 1/2" for the lip and wall thickness that makes the inside diameter 17". For a 15 gallon pot that would make the height about 15 1/2". That would allow 1 1/2" for the lid and handle.

18.5x17 gives you a pot thats over 18 gallons so I played with the numbers a little differently figuring the 'diameter' might be a width that takes into account the handles. I held 15 gallons constant and the height of 17 inches constant and came up with a diameter of 16 inches.

Either way, I guess its just about as tall as it is wide and I'm sure someone will come in with the exact dimensions soon. I should have mine in 5-9 days so I'll measure if no one else does.

Mine will be picked up by the wife on friday when she comes back through buffalo I'll post the dimensions then if they aren't already posted.

Thanks for the heads up on the 60 qt pot, I picked one up last night.

Now they show it for sale at $126.98 or around $82 dollars more than yesterday.

WOW. I might sell my keggle thru the local brewclub, and get that. My burner doesn't like heating my heavy keggle. Too few BTUs I think. Or just too thick metal.
I did exactly that (sold my keggle to another HBT'er actually). I also had trouble getting the keggle up to a really good boil. My stock pot (and now it's 15gal sister) get up to temp faster, boil more vigorously on a lower gas setting, are lighter, and (according to my wife) look much nicer.

I have this one. It is .75mm thicker and is very sturdy. I love it. My most recent addition is the same thickness as the one in you link, and is still great, just noticeably not as stout.

Thanks Germey! I'm glad I'm not the only one to have Keggle Remorse... It's not that I don't *like* it... I mean, it's a very nice boiling kettle....... if you brew outdoors with a Banjo. It's heavy, though, that's the big thing pushing me towards a stockpot - I have preexisting low back issues, and switching to the keggle has NOT made them feel any better!

It's weird though... you're reading my mind. I was lusting on that Crestware last night. I almost bought it. Then you posted the link. :p

Did a two-batch sparge on my OktoberFAST last night. Both sparges were 4.75 gal of 82*F water each, lit at the same time, with two half-full propane tanks, with two 10-psi regulators. One was my old 55k cast burner + my old 7.5 gal S/S turkey fryer. The other was my SQ14 burner with my keggle. I started both burners at the same time, with 30 minutes of mash time remaining. The turkey fryer hit 174*F at about 5 minutes before the mash was done. The keggle was still at about 145*F. I had to scoop the keggle water, 2qts at a time with my measuring pitcher, into the turkey fryer to finish heating it.

I think I'm buying that Crestware on Thursday when the paycheck rolls in.

Looks like it was a good pot for the price, but not so much anymore.

I love my keggle, sturdy, stainless, good handles and I made it myself. I don't have any issues with getting up to a boil.

It's weird though... you're reading my mind.
Yes, I am, and I will publish a full description of that little tidbit involving the cat and the Vaseline if I don't get a 6 pack of homebrew delivered within a week:p

Keggles are regarded as sacrosanct around here sometimes. I know they work great for lots of people, but it is good to remind folks that there are alternatives, and to define what the pluses and minuses may be for any given choice.
I just noticed that Instawares has dropped the free shipping point to $50 (down from $350 when I ordered). That's easy enough to hit!

Latest posts

Back