Brew Pot or Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dphornguy

Reaction score
So I think I may be able to swing a new feature of my equipment as a wedding gift. I think I will have to decide b/w a SS 7.5gallon fermenter or a 10gallon brew pot. I see benefits of both (as I hate certain aspects of each process). Do you have any thoughts? Both would essentially cost the same (~300-400).

What do you have currently? Anytime you have cash for brew equipment and want to know what to buy, tell everyone what you have.

What do you have currently? Anytime you have cash for brew equipment and want to know what to buy, tell everyone what you have.

Got it.

Right now I have been running basics.

For a brew kettle I have a stainless 7.5gal that I have been using (doubles as turkey fryer). I would like to look at 10-15gal because ever since I went to AG I have found it hard to brew more than 3gal without overflow issues.

For fermenting I have a couple glass carbuoys (6.5 and 5 gallon).

Not related, but I have a 10 gallon and 5 gallon homemade mash tun.

Carboys are perfectly fine for fermenting beer. As you've discovered however, a 7.5 gallon pot is tight for a full boil, all-grain batch. My thought is why pay all that money to upgrade by just 2.5 gallons? I have a 15 gallon and love it! Works great and allows the occasional 10 gallon batch...

Okay, first if you're boiling 3 gallons and coming close to a boil over in a 7.5 gallon pot, I am curious as to how hard the boil is because I can do 7 gallons in a 10 gallon pot and just after the hot break, I do a rolling boil just fine.

But either way, You have more than enough to spend $300 and get both. If you're married to glass carboys you can afford another 6.5 gallon carboy as well as a 10 gallon pot. I like the Concord Kettles found on eBay but you'd want to drill those out yourself because his holes are a bit higher than necessary. If you don't want to bother with that then the Bayou Classic kettles found on Amazon are great. I love my 10 gallon. If you want larger then I think they do have larger. You can easily get what you need for about $300.

If you can only choose one, I choose kettle and maybe a 15 gallon one. I assume you only brew one batch at a time so you can always brew and bottle/keg then brew…etc.

Okay, first if you're boiling 3 gallons and coming close to a boil over in a 7.5 gallon pot, I am curious as to how hard the boil is because I can do 7 gallons in a 10 gallon pot and just after the hot break, I do a rolling boil just fine.

But either way, You have more than enough to spend $300 and get both. If you're married to glass carboys you can afford another 6.5 gallon carboy as well as a 10 gallon pot. I like the Concord Kettles found on eBay but you'd want to drill those out yourself because his holes are a bit higher than necessary. If you don't want to bother with that then the Bayou Classic kettles found on Amazon are great. I love my 10 gallon. If you want larger then I think they do have larger. You can easily get what you need for about $300.

If you can only choose one, I choose kettle and maybe a 15 gallon one. I assume you only brew one batch at a time so you can always brew and bottle/keg then brew…etc.

It's pretty straightforward: a 5 gallon batch typically starts with a ~7gallon wort preboil until it is boiled down to 5 gallons. That leaves no room for boil overflow when you add components during the boil or ever at first. As I said, I find it hard to do MORE than 3 gallons without an issue. at 3 gallons I am fine, but I want more.

As for a 15 v. 10 gal size, I suppose I don't have a real good reason. especially as it will have the valve to help.

If you're already doing fermentation control, yeast starters, etc, I'd get a bigger pot. Fermenting in buckets is fine. But watching a boil kettle that's filled within .5 inches of the top is a pain.

I was in the same boat as you with the turkey fryer pot. I opted to get a 15 gallon Tall Boy kettle. Its a bit taller than wide, so 5 gallon batches are easy. Highly recommended. $150 at many online retailers.

Back