Brew Like Jazz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever considered how much jazz and brewing have in common?
Both are art forms that evoke a sensory reaction across the spectrum from unpalatable to exquisite. Both are robust enough to invest decades into their study and still have more to learn. And finally, both are exponentially richer when there is improvisation.
Yes, improvisation is a skill required of not only the greatest jazz musicians but also the greatest brewers.
As musician Brian McKnight once said, "Jazz is all about improvisation and it's about the moment in time, doing it this way now, and you'll never do it this way twice."
"But doesn't this go against all the articles and books about perfecting and replicating all the variables of brewing?" you might ask.
Well, what happens when your mash efficiency isn't what you planned for with your DIPA? Or if you've got a stuck sparge on your Wee Heavy? What about when you're march pump conks out halfway through transferring that Saison to your kettle? Where do you turn when you're Imperial Stout starts at 1.130 and won't drop below 1.050? What about when the oxygen tank runs out right when you're about to oxygenate that monster Barleywine before pitching the yeast?
thumb2_1-224.jpg

Improvisation in brewing is required far more often than you think.
However, as actor Christopher Walken said, "the thing is that you cannot improvise unless you know exactly what you're doing."
Improvisation in jazz only works when the notes played are drawn from a specific set of notes that "fit." Knowledge of musical structure determines if the improvisation will be successful.
In the same way, the more knowledge a brewer has of brewing structure determines if the improvisation will be successful.
thumb2_2-225.jpg

When one understands the structural and technical aspects of brewing such as water chemistry, mash pH, mash temperatures, enzymatic conversion, hop utilization, yeast pitching rates, fermentation temperatures, attenuation, and so on, they are able to draw from all that wisdom to make improvisational decisions in the moment and on the fly in ways that only an artist could.
thumb2_3-226.jpg

Mash efficiency too low? Improvise by adding DME or lowering pre-boil volume.
Stuck sparge and none of the tips you know are working? Improvise by scooping out everything from your mash tun and straining through cheesecloth, or a t-shirt, or a fine fishing net.
March pump conks out? Improvise by moving the height of your vessels to let gravity move the wort for you.
FG of 1.050 and none of the tips work? Improvise by blending it with another beer in style (or not in style if you know enough of what the blend will create) to match the end result you want.
Oxygen tank runs out? Improvise by adding a single drop of olive oil in the wort before pitching the yeast.
thumb2_4-227.jpg

I can share these things with you because these are actual ways I've improvised in the moment in order to get closer to the results I wanted to achieve. Some of these things, like straining through a fishing net were hopefully things I've only had to do once (rice hulls have become a good friend for smooth sparging). A recent gold at the LA County Fair for an American Strong Ale tell me that this "brew like jazz" approach has worked for me.
thumb2_5-228.png

My assumption is that at some point in your brewing, you'll need to improvise. Will you be an artist and draw upon your knowledge to perhaps do something you've never done before or possibly never will do again? The more you know about all the science of brewing from grain to glass, the more successful your improvisation will be.
Remember, brewing is about handcrafting not photocopying...so put on some Miles Davis and brew like jazz.
5-228.png

Well put. Have you read Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing? It got me into improvisation and cooking up non-traditional beers early in my brew quest. In fact, it got me going nuts before I really understood the rules. Once my urban brew kit is finally assembled, I hope to come back to radical small batch brewing in a big way. I can buy a perfect IPA (especially in SoCal). I cannot buy a bitchin' Pineapple Crunkweizen. Only I can make that (and whoever else gets the idea in their brew house).

Well put, but i do like what Christopher Walken said, "the thing is that you cannot improvise unless you know exactly what you're doing."

This was one of my most favorite posts to see on the homebrewtalk homepage. Thanks!

I've been making this analogy for years. I also draw the same comparison between basketball and jazz. You have to be able to make adjustments on the fly, especially as homebrewers who don't have a brewery full of expensive, precise, scientifically calibrated equipment. Yet you can't just do whatever the hell you want because you usually will get a bad result. Those improvisations have to be done within a context.

I thought this was going to be an article on how to brew like DJ Jazzy Jeff.

Also analogous to jazz could be the concept that some dissonance can be desirable or even necessary. Especially if you're jammin' out with some wild cats like Brett and Pedio-C.
Also I have seen a lot of pretty functional equipment that was improvised.
Well posted sir!

Brewing, like jazz, can either be awesome, or suck really bad

Actually...more like blues...smooth, satisfying ALWAYS and never the same!
BUT...very nice write up.

Yes. O2 creates a healthier environment for the yeast at the beginning of fermentation. There are a variety of ways to add O2...including adding a drop of olive oil.
For further reading: http://byo.com/bock/item/1206-olive-oil-aeration

Back