Brew kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekirch

Reaction score
Alright. I need some advice. I recently got a mr beer kit and began my interest in home brewing. My first batch is currently carbonating. My wife noticed how interested in home brewing I've become and went out got me a brewers best kit. So, looking through the kit and instructions, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to stick with mr beer for a least a few more batches. Brewers best seems more complicated, though I'm sure produces better results. Any advice or suggestions?

Never used Mr. Beer but do what make you comfortable. It can be a little overwhelming to use other kits but it s not really bad at all. Good Luck and WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

I agree, do whatever is more comfortable, if you wife bought the other kit, consider that as well. I know mine gets upset if she buys me something and I don't seem to use/appreciate it. I've never used mr. beer, but I have used brewers best, and their instructions are on the poor side of the scale.

Your wife bought you a kit? sweet.. !! My ex didn't even want me to brew at home, a year ago, when we seperated, guess what I did ? IMO if it seems more complicated then you're on the right track, kits in my opinion lack a lot of info, when doing All Grain you got no choice but to do research, a lot of it too. where as with kits you can just follow THEIR instructions and ... well... its not always good. If at least, you do kits, and ask questions here and on other forums, then you're better off. Just letting you know, the instructions from the kits are often horrible, sometimes they are exactly the same for Ales and Lagers... and if you know what im talking about, you know its bu****it. Good luck, happy brewing

I had a Mr. beer a few years ago. I now have the Brewers Best kit. The Mr. Beer will produce beer but the BB kit will give you much more flexibility. You can do their kits (edit: or kits from homebrew shops such as Austin Homebrew) or find other recipes to brew. That is including going to partial mash.

I was a bit nervous at first but you will get used to it quickly and be able to improve your beer making vastly.

Just make sure you add a week or so to both the fermenting and bottling processes to produce better beer.

Do a bit of searching on here and you will learn a tremendous amount. The beginners forum will answer most of the questions you will have at the start of your journey.

I would just jump into the Brewer Best kit,since I started there. Follow the directions, you will be fine. Soon you will be doing partial mash and all grain brewing! Keep that Mr Beer for experimental batches and small beers. I bought one on Woot for just that, besides that little barrel fermenter is cool.

They all follow the same principles, so there's no need to be intimidated by a larger kit. The taste of the beer will come from the ingredients in the beer kit, not the equipment. The main advantage that I see for a new brewer, is that these equipment kits are 5 gallon and the Mr. Beer makes 2 gallons. Having the ability to make 5 gallons will open up the opportunity to buy one of the many 5 gallon extract kits that are sold online. In any case, the forum here will help you if you run into trouble along the way.

On a side note, I went to the Mr. Beer website just now to check how many gallons are produced in the kits. As soon as I loaded the webpage, they stated that you can register your Mr. Beer kit and get 2 free gifts: here

...My wife noticed how interested in home brewing I've become and went out got me a brewers best kit. So, looking through the kit and instructions, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to stick with mr beer for a least a few more batches...
I'm assuming this a Brewer's Best Equipment kit (did it come with a first recipe kit?)

Doing an extract kit with steeping grains and hop boil is not too awfully complicated. I'm with everyone that suggested using the new kit when you decide. It will take a little longer on brew day and you will need a spot to watch the temps on a larger fermenter. Bottling day is longer as well.

Back