Brew kettle spigot sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently doing 3 gal extract boils but want to switch to full volume boils.

I am looking at brew kettles with a spigot so that I can drain the wort directly into the fermenter. I am using a home-made "boosted" immersion chiller (h20 runs through a coil in an ice bath prior to running through the main coil - It drops 3gal from boiling to 80 dF in 15min).

Do any of you see any potential contamination issues with running the cooled wort through the spigot? If so what would be the best way to sanitize?

Thanks in advance.

while your grains are in your mlt just bring some water to a boil and drain it out of the spigot. it is now sanitized then wash good afterwards

while your grains are in your mlt just bring some water to a boil and drain it out of the spigot. it is now sanitized then wash good afterwards

This is what I do. I rinse it well after it's used and then before I drain my tun into the kettle I run 5 gal of boiling water thru the valve and my CFC.

Basically the same ... the water I use to pre-heat my mash tun "cleans" the spigot and barb. Then a full 60 min. boil will definitely sanitizes the barb.

I still spray the barb with Starsan about 30 seconds before I connect a sanitized silicone hose to drain the cooled wort. Ya can't be too careful IMHO.

I run some of the boiling wort through the spigot toward the end of the boil and I havent had a problem yet

I run some of the boiling wort through the spigot toward the end of the boil and I havent had a problem yet

+1

I run a little hot water through before I add the wort then run a few litres of boiling wort off (and return to the kettle) just before I start cooling. I then add my sanitised run off tube to the spigot.

I still spray the barb with Starsan about 30 seconds before I connect a sanitized silicone hose to drain the cooled wort. Ya can't be too careful IMHO.

Absolutely, it's fast and easy insurance. A dedicated spray bottle full of Starsan is one of the best (and cheapest) equipment additions I've ever made, I wouldn't do without it now.

Back