Brew International 15 gal kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

properbrew

Reaction score
That's a pretty good deal for a heavy duty kettle. I was going to buy the Bru Gear one. It's basically the same except for TC fittings and volume markings inside. It's about $120 more though....still cheap compared to Blichman and Stout.

My other options I was thinking are:

16-gal Bayou Classic Tri-clad plain from Overstock and drill holes myself and add ball valve/thermometer ($128 after 10% first time buyer discount)
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-Tri-Ply-16-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot/6443651/product.html?keywords=14045135&searchtype=Header

Or

16-gal Bayou Classic Tri-clad with ball valve/thermometer/etc ($210 after discount)
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-6-piece-Home-Brew-Kettle-Kit/7586289/product.html?keywords=15012549&searchtype=Header

I want to do 10 gal batches so I wasn't sure if the extra gal of the Bayou classic would make a difference. Keep in mind these are not the cheap Bayou kettles they are tri-clad versions. Let me know what you guys think.

My other options I was thinking are:

16-gal Bayou Classic Tri-clad plain from Overstock and drill holes myself and add ball valve/thermometer ($128 after 10% first time buyer discount)
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-Tri-Ply-16-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot/6443651/product.html?keywords=14045135&searchtype=Header

Or

16-gal Bayou Classic Tri-clad with ball valve/thermometer/etc ($210 after discount)
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-6-piece-Home-Brew-Kettle-Kit/7586289/product.html?keywords=15012549&searchtype=Header

I want to do 10 gal batches so I wasn't sure if the extra gal of the Bayou classic would make a difference. Keep in mind these are not the cheap Bayou kettles they are tri-clad versions. Let me know what you guys think.

I just bought 2 of these..(cheap non triclad ones which are the same besides the plate in the bottom of the kettle for 119 a piece shipped open box).. just an fyi it takes 3 gallons to fill the dead space below the false bottom they make for this pot... they have recently improved the false bottom to make it stronger though however it appears to be chrome plated which makes me worry that its not stainless and will rust...

Are you planning on using induction heating?

I dont understand how your post shows as being made at 9:46 am (its 9:12 here now) and keeps moving to the bottom of the thread regardless of my posts even though it was there prior to all of my posts?

EDIT there something wrong with the timezones/forum structure... I made all three of these posts within 5 minutes and it shows that I made one at 9:00,9:10 and 10:09 on my end... weird.

I just bought 2 of these..(cheap non triclad ones which are the same besides the plate in the bottom of the kettle for 119 a piece shipped open box).. just an fyi it takes 3 gallons to fill the dead space below the false bottom they make for this pot... they have recently improved the false bottom to make it stronger though...

i have the same 62 qt BC that I use as my kettle. no problem doing 10-11 gallon batches (recommend fermcap though). I bought an undrilled kettle for less than $100 and added a thermometer, sight glass, stainless valve for another $75 or so.

Anyone ever see this brew international 15 gal kettle or have any input about it? I am looking to upgrade to a 15/20 gal kettle for use with 10 gal batches. You guys have any other recommendations for a cladded 15/20 gal kettle without spending a ton of money?

http://www.brewinternational.com/15...ad-bottom-welded-ports-for-valve-thermometer/

I like the Update International SS Kettles. They have the tri-clad bottoms and are very well made at a good price. I current use an 8g HLT (upgrading to 10-15g) and have a 15g BK.

i have the same 62 qt BC that I use as my kettle. no problem doing 10-11 gallon batches (recommend fermcap though). I bought an undrilled kettle for less than $100 and added a thermometer, sight glass, stainless valve for another $75 or so.

62q pot is slightly different than the 64 (16gallon) the ring for the false bottom being the main difference vs the ring at the top for a basket...

I use a converted cooler as my mash tun, so I'm not very interested in the false bottom. I will be using the kettle to boil in. Any thoughts on the quality difference between the Brew international and the Bayou tri-clad? And any advantage/disadvantage to going with the welded fittings? Or should I go with the Bayou since it gives me an additional gallon of space so I can do 10 gal batches a little easier. I am having a difficult time choosing between these kettles because I like the welded fittings on the Brew international, but like the thought of an additional gal of space on the Bayou.

well went forth and ordered the brew international kettle on sunday knowing that it was backordered till jan 5th, just got an email today that they automatically refunded my order since the kettle is now backordered until at least the 3rd week of jan... kinda odd, either way still need a kettle...

So... What's the scoop on this place? I've sent a couple of questions thru their contact form regarding the 15 gallon pots. I've heard nothing back either time. Expecting them in January?

Anyplace else sell these pots for a similar price? I'll put the fittings in myself if I have to.

If you do a 'whois' on brewinternational.com, you will see that the name is registered to "Learn To Brew".

Learntobrew.com also has the pot listed with a release date of Jan 2; and for a bit more money.

Finally i can be of help instead of just asking questions and reading here.

I was looking for a mash tun with false bottom and 2 ports. 1 for valve and 1 for therm. I wanted the triclad bottom.

i purchased this
http://www.brewinternational.com/15...ad-bottom-welded-ports-for-valve-thermometer/
and added the false bottom.

All in all i am happy. I will say this, the way its listed, I thought I was getting the valve and thermometer but if you look closely, its the PORTS for those devices.
It does not come with the valve, just the welded ports.

My goal was to get a better deal on something that was a better product than this.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082X3D06/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (about $250-260 at the time i think)(I am a prime member)

no offense to bayou. I use their burners.

Here is what I can tell you
I'm happy with the purchase (especially with never seeing a review)
its about 16.5 inches wide at the top (flared a bit) and 18.25 high.
The false bottom fits perfect and its 2.5 inches high.
There is 2 gallons of water under the false bottom. Nice for easy figuring.

The pot did come with 2 dents on the sides. both towards the bottom and the box looked like it got banged in both places. I did'nt contact to return. i just wanted to start using it.

I am happy with the welds, no leaks, no rust after using it quite a few times.

One of the reasons I purchased it with the welded fittings, is because I almost forgot, if you don't, you have to add those bulkheads into your budget. I plan on using this a long time. For me, its worth it to have them already on there.

i use this for both my mash tun and BK right now. for 5 and 10 Gal batches.

hope this helps.

Subtotal: $221.94 USD
Shipping: $13.83 USD
Grand Total: $235.77 USD

Last edited by a moderator:
All in all i am happy. I will say this, the way its listed, I thought I was getting the valve and thermometer but if you look closely, its the PORTS for those devices.
It does not come with the valve, just the welded ports.

In the description, it does state that it comes with thermometer and ball valve:

"Both the thermometer and the ball valve come with this item and are both stainless steel. The thermometer has 2" probe. The 2" probe is perferred in the kettle over a 6" probe so as not to be damaged when stiring the kettle with your stainless steel spoon."

To me they should have been included.

I agree, from reading the description it sounds like the thermometer and ball valve is included

In addition, I wrote Brew International an email on Dec 29th to verify that they are still expecting these kettles to be in stock during the 3rd week of January and they answered on Dec 30th saying that the 3rd week of January is still the expected date. Gives me a little bit more confidence in the company since they responded to my email quickly.

I couldn't wait any longer for the brew international 15 gal to come back in stock, so I purchased a Concord 40qt pot for the time being which was $60 shipped to my door. I haven't used it yet but so far I am impressed with the quality of this pot. I will post a review after I brew with it this weekend. If I am satisfied with the pot, I plan to add a ball valve, thermometer, and etch gallon markers in it. I was obsessed with the fact that my brew kettle needed to be tri clad which the concord is not, so I will be excited to see if it matters.

Pic

image.jpg

Learntobrew.com has the kettles in stock. They only have the drilled ones though. I wanted a solid pot to modify myself, and was advised they won't be in stock for another month. I am definitely holding out for a kettle with a clad bottom though. I want the ability to use with an induction burner.

That's interesting, I wrote a few emails to brew international and they said that they should be in stock early this week... I still may buy one, this concord may just be my band aid kettle to get me through for the time being. I would prefer a 15 gal in the long run, but it was a cheap fix to get me brewing again.

So far its been great, I have two brews on it now and you can't beat it for pure value, I am really happy with the pot and I am now convinced that you don't need tri-ply when using a propane burner, I use a blichmann burner which I would highly recommend or another style of banjo burner to distribute heat evenly as when I used other burners (turkey fryer styles) they tend to blacken the bottom of kettles... I etched volume markers in the kettle last week and it turned out awesome

Latest posts

Back