Brew in airlock - is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vexx64

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm currently brewing a spirit base kit I bought from a home brew shop.

I originally put water in the airlock, after one day my brew is in the airlock, is this undesirable and does it need to be sorted?

Thanks

It is fine. It is ok for the liquid to go out in that direction, the big thing is preventing oxygen and other things from entering.

karusen in the airlock is normal. just make sure it doesn't clog the airlock or you may come home to a beer geyser. i would suggest switching to a blowoff tube.

make sure the airlock is clear so it doesn't shoot off of your bucket or carboy. A blow-off tube would be best. Just make sure it doesn't clog so beer goes flying everywhere.

TipsyDragon beat me to it by less than a minute

There doesn't appear to be any foam in there, just liquid, I'll leave the blow off tube for now and just keep a frequent eye on it and hope for the best.

Thanks

Trust me, switch to a blow-off tube while you can. I just went through this process not five days ago and awoke to half-fermented wort spewing out of my airlock and onto my carpet and walls.

The blow off tubes aren't hard to set up, and they'll save you from scrubbing a sticky mess off your walls later.

Back