Brew extra in a flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SconeyR

Reaction score
Hi, all - I'm on my 8th batch (currently doing a 5g Surly Furious IPA clone) and somehow ended up brewing way too much. Luckily I only ended up a few points shy of my target OG (1.061 vs 1.064). I had made a 2L starter and all was well until I realized I would not have enough room in my 6.5 gallon carboy for all the beer plus starter (I decanted the extra starter wort) plus headspace. As an experiment, I put the remaining wort (~1.5L) in the flask on top of some of the remaining yeast and put a sanitized foam stopper in the top.

The fermentation in both the carboy and the flask took off like crazy in just a few hours and the carboy has been foaming over for the last 12 hours. I'm worried that I'm losing a lot of beer in the foam. So my question is: would it be stupid, once primary fermentation is done, to decant the beer from the flask into the carboy (assuming I don't detect off flavors from the flask of course)? 1.5L is a lot of beer I'd rather not lose, especially if I've lost a lot due to foam-over from the carboy.

For background, I cooled the wort to about 80 before adding the starter, then put it in my chest freezer set for 63. It was foaming over before it made it down that far, though. In retrospect, I probably should have cooled the wort to 63 before pitching the yeast.

If you can add it back without pouring it in, then sure. But maybe wait until you bottle or keg keg it.

As an alternative, maybe use the flask batch as an opportunity to try something different with the brew?

Latest posts

Back