Brew Day - Second attempt at BIAB - Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
So I calculated for 70% efficiency just to be safe this time around as I came up a bit short last time (it was my first try and my mash was all messed up temp-wise).

the crush :

10012636_10152240679409360_1877513769_o.jpg

The mash (lol) :

1537758_10152240674844360_1187379762_o.jpg

It's been at 156 for 35 minutes now. My goal was 155 or 154 so not bad!

I don't have the option of crushing finer, the HBS I go to has monster mills set to .045. I just add an extra 5% of grain to the bill and haven't had any issues since I started going there last year.

I would like to get a grain mill but I'm lacking in space lately. I've been thinking about using your corona mill bucket system but I have no time right now as I'm getting ready to graduate and i'm stuck with a crap load of school work plus my full time job.

One day!

Ok, if you are getting decent results then that's all that matters. Your pic is likely deceiving me thinking it is uncrushed grain, when it is likely just hulls, my bad.

All the best,
Wilser

1782554_10152241196804360_2022452901_o.jpg

Took it off the stirplate and poured 1L into each bucket after some swirling. Hope they got an even dosage of yeast.

I agree, if you're happy with the results then that's all that matters. I also agree that the crush looks like it could be a bit more.... crushed :D. Will they allow you to run in through twice by any chance? I looks like the mill does a good job at breaking things in half and thirds sometimes, but you could go a bit finer especially with BIAB.

Edit: BTW, that's an awesome photo of the crush. If only everyone could post pics like that of their crush!

I agree, if you're happy with the results then that's all that matters. I also agree that the crush looks like it could be a bit more.... crushed :D. Will they allow you to run in through twice by any chance? I looks like the mill does a good job at breaking things in half and thirds sometimes, but you could go a bit finer especially with BIAB.

Edit: BTW, that's an awesome photo of the crush. If only everyone could post pics like that of their crush!

Nokia phones bro, they are awesome.

Yeah I can run it through twice. I think I'm just going to set up a corona grinder or ask for a Barley Crusher for my birthday this month though. I'll be 25. Time for some quarter-life-crisis purchases...

Ok, even as deceiving as that crush may be, twice through with that mill I bet would put you mid eighties.

Cheers!
You exceeded your goal, good for you!!!

It's gotta be the light or something because that really looks like a bad crush even for traditional brewing. It appears that there a bunch of un cracked grains.

Cheers!

Back