• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Brew bucket ques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
Just a quick question- can I use a normal hardware store bucket with a lid as a primary fermentor? I live in Hawaii and have been unable to find "food grade" buckets so far, and I really don't want to pay shipping.
If I find a normal ace hardware bucket without scratches, is that acceptable? Or am I asking for trouble and off-flavors?

If it's white, you can check with the manufacturer to find if it's food grade. Many are, but simply aren't marketed as food grade. In San Diego and up north near Seattle many I find are made by Argee in Santee, CA, and their white buckets are food-grade plastic. Good chance on the islands you might get the same.

AFAIK no colored buckets are food-grade.

Check local restaurants or bakeries. Often for a few bucks they will save their buckets for you if they don't just give them away. My mother works at a school cafeteria and I get about a dozen a year free from there.

Around here the buckets are free at Restraunts. Look for some that won't give an off flavor like pickels...

I used to live on Kauai and can't seem to recall a Home Depot there. So I'm not sure if there is one on whichever island you're on. If there is though, look in the paint dept and you'll find the white buckets that are food safe.
Might be worth looking in the same place at the Ace to see if they have anything there.

Otherwise, as others have said, check your local restaurants and even donut shops. They usually have a bunch or are willing to hold a few for you.

Ive used the orange home depot buckets many times,perfectly safe.So much easier to clean then a carboy.And $5 bucks is hard to beat plus if they get scratched you have a bucket for washing the car:)

Edit:If theres no Home depot near you I will fly you a bucket if I can crash at your house for a week or two...I need Hawaii right about now

The only issue I see with the hd buckets is they do not seal air tight if I'm not mistaken. I'm not 100% tho.
I haven't looked in a while but I think there is a rubber gasket in the lid. either way Ive never had a batch go bad.If there was a leak I would think the airlock wouldn't bubble as the air would just leak out,and it always does

I believe the main thing to look for is the triNgle mDe out of arrows with a low number stenciled somewhere on the bucket...you want number 1 or 2 Anything else isnt too food safe, the lower the number, the better.

Lowes sells 5 gallon buckets for like 10 bucks, and ive used it, but for my starsan solution. Until swmbo thought she could use it without permission to collect our dogs poop...

Back