Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used the 3.5 gallon mini bucket yet? I am a small batch guy and the conical bottom and valve have me considering it.
I have some concerns about the silicon rubber base that it sits on. Being that it appears to just sit on it, how is moving it while full going to be?

I'm using one for the first time. I really dislike the silicone bottom. I'm not sure why they did it, must have been a cost cutting move but not sure. Every time you move the fermenter, it's kind of a PITA. That being said, I love everything else about it. I haven't racked to a keg yet so can't say how it's doing inside, but we shall see shortly.

I do small batches only and so the next size up was too large for me. I wish the mini had welded legs, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I would buy again.

Edit: I might add Velcro or something to attach the bottom to the Mini. That might solve my only initial issue.

I'm using one for the first time. I really dislike the silicone bottom. I'm not sure why they did it, must have been a cost cutting move but not sure. Every time you move the fermenter, it's kind of a PITA. That being said, I love everything else about it. I haven't racked to a keg yet so can't say how it's doing inside, but we shall see shortly.

I do small batches only and so the next size up was too large for me. I wish the mini had welded legs, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I would buy again.

Edit: I might add Velcro or something to attach the bottom to the Mini. That might solve my only initial issue.

That's what my first thought was when I saw the ad in BYO. Awesome fermenter, exactly what I'm looking for, fits in my mini-fridge, but dang, that base....
Velcro might be a decent option. Let us know how it goes.
I will still end up with one I think.

That's what my first thought was when I saw the ad in BYO. Awesome fermenter, exactly what I'm looking for, fits in my mini-fridge, but dang, that base....
Velcro might be a decent option. Let us know how it goes.
I will still end up with one I think.

So I finally got around to trying to add Velcro to the base. It will not stick to the silicone base at all. Not even a little bit. I cleaned it and dried beforehand but zero stick. I'm thinking it's the texture. Anyone else have any ideas on how to affix the silicone base to the brew bucket mini?

Anyone else have any ideas on how to affix the silicone base to the brew bucket mini?

Sticky tack? I'm not sure how many materials will stick to silicone very well... I know most adhesives won't - they use silicone lining for a lot of resealable labels to avoid damaging the adhesive during repeated use.

So I finally got around to trying to add Velcro to the base. It will not stick to the silicone base at all. Not even a little bit. I cleaned it and dried beforehand but zero stick. I'm thinking it's the texture. Anyone else have any ideas on how to affix the silicone base to the brew bucket mini?

Staples? if it's silicone, you may have to resort to something mechanical rather than adhesive.

Dried wort seems to stick to everything and make a gooey mess, you could try that. ;)

That's disappointing. Makes me wonder, "WTH are they thinking?!?" Hopefully they do some re-thinking on this.

IF I get one now, I would probably make something out of wood. It's still tempting, I'll give it a little time.

I just bought one this week but haven't used it yet.

My initial thoughts are:
1) Why didn't they put handles on this one? Although not a big deal because it's not very heavy even when full, but handles would have been nice.

2) I really dislike the detachable base, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me obviously.

3) I hate the fact that there isn't a hole big enough to put a stopper in that will hold my Thermowell, too. I'm going to take it to a machine shop to have them punch the hole bigger so I can fit a #6 stopper with an airlock and a Thermowell in it. If they can't do that, I will return it - this one is a deal breaker for me. While I love the shape, size and construction I won't give up my temp control for it.

I just bought one this week but haven't used it yet.

My initial thoughts are:
1) Why didn't they put handles on this one? Although not a big deal because it's not very heavy even when full, but handles would have been nice.

2) I really dislike the detachable base, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me obviously.

3) I hate the fact that there isn't a hole big enough to put a stopper in that will hold my Thermowell, too. I'm going to take it to a machine shop to have them punch the hole bigger so I can fit a #6 stopper with an airlock and a Thermowell in it. If they can't do that, I will return it - this one is a deal breaker for me. While I love the shape, size and construction I won't give up my temp control for it.

If you want a hole for a thermowell, just drill it out with a step drill and clean it up with a file.

Would a thermowell really make a difference vs a probe on the side of a SS container? Especially one that's only 3.5 Gallons???

I have my probe taped to the side with bubble wrap over. I also have a fermometer on the front. The temp controller readout and the fermometer are almost always the same, sometimes +/- 1 degree F. That seems good enough for me. I think the thermowell might be a little overkill, but thats just me. I've used my buckets on 4 brews now and love them, except that damn base. I still haven't figured out how to attach them, too lazy. Will something like Liquid Nails stick to silicone? Is liquid nails ok with stainless?

Anyways, I've been so happy with the minis and the customer service over at HQ, that I decided to pull the trigger on the 7 gallon brew bucket. I added the 3" tc lid and super excited to test it out next week! Dry hopping with that lid looks like its going to be a breeze, especially the way my ferm chamber is set up. Not looking forward to the initial cleaning of the fermenter though, that was sort of a pain on the minis.

I have my probe taped to the side with bubble wrap over. I also have a fermometer on the front. The temp controller readout and the fermometer are almost always the same, sometimes +/- 1 degree F. That seems good enough for me.

I'm not surprised they read the same since they are both reading temps on the outside of the bucket. I used a Johnson Controller either hanging in my ferm chamber or taped to a carboy for years before I got my STC-1000. Since I've gotten that, I've just decided to not go back to anything else since I like this setup.

Not saying mine is any better, just as you said - it works for me and I like it so that's the route I went. I got a guy from my local machine shop to make me a bigger hole for a few bucks so I'm all set now.

a3cfd4d543080dd2d65e2d849881b99f.jpg

It's clean and ready to go. Now what to brew......

OK, so I've searched this thread a couple different ways and did not find anyone ask this, so I'll ask away:

Any alternatives to a TSP cleaner?

Where I'm stationed now I may be able to find TSP, but I might not recognize it, and might not be able to explain to the local what I'm looking for. So I'm wondering if I can just do the initial, first cleaning with dish washing detergent or perhaps an alternative for TSP I've found online (lots of white vinegar and baking soda alternatives). I don't wanna screw this bucket up before I even get to use it.

Thoughts?

OK, so I've searched this thread a couple different ways and did not find anyone ask this, so I'll ask away:

Where I'm stationed now I may be able to find TSP, but I might not recognize it, and might not be able to explain to the local what I'm looking for. So I'm wondering if I can just do the initial, first cleaning with dish washing detergent or perhaps an alternative for TSP I've found online (lots of white vinegar and baking soda alternatives). I don't wanna screw this bucket up before I even get to use it.

Thoughts?

Diah soap then Bar keepers friend maybe?

It's too bad they don't throw in alittle cleaner or charge a little extra for a ready-to-go/cleaned bucket option...

Thoughts?

PBW cleaner

I have to say that mine was pretty clean and I used TSP even though I couldn't see/feel any machine oil.

that's a good idea to drill a 2nd hole in the stopper and put a thermometer down in it.

my temperature control solution is way more primitive.. not even sure if it passes the "works for me" test .. yet

I've got a small AC-ed closet, which keeps the closet +1/-1 of what i set it to.. but the fermenter will still get 6-8 degrees above that.

my next step was a squirrel fan , which is aimed at an upwards angle against the fermentor which works amazingly well .. (at least to cool the outside of it) can't really be certain of the inner temp i would imagine all that surface area would cool it down inside though .. :)

for winter i put a fish take heater in a gallon of milk (well water now) slide that into the side of the fermentor (externally) and still aim the squirrel fan at them both ..

"Seems" to be working but i've only done 2 batches like that.

squirrel fan was like $12, AC was $30 off craigs .. cheap was required for my solution so .. blah ... not really ideal or what i wanted .. its just what i happen to have... :)

that's a good idea to drill a 2nd hole in the stopper and put a thermometer down in it.

my temperature control solution is way more primitive.. not even sure if it passes the "works for me" test .. yet

I've got a small AC-ed closet, which keeps the closet +1/-1 of what i set it to.. but the fermenter will still get 6-8 degrees above that.

my next step was a squirrel fan , which is aimed at an upwards angle against the fermentor which works amazingly well .. (at least to cool the outside of it) can't really be certain of the inner temp i would imagine all that surface area would cool it down inside though .. :)

for winter i put a fish take heater in a gallon of milk (well water now) slide that into the side of the fermentor (externally) and still aim the squirrel fan at them both ..

"Seems" to be working but i've only done 2 batches like that.

squirrel fan was like $12, AC was $30 off craigs .. cheap was required for my solution so .. blah ... not really ideal or what i wanted .. its just what i happen to have... :)

For heat, try one of the personal heating fans, like the Lasko my heat
They are probably some on clearance this time of year.

I have to say that mine was pretty clean and I used TSP even though I couldn't see/feel any machine oil.

Turns out mine was pretty clean too. I wrote to the SS Brewtech folks and some brewers in one of my FB groups gave me some ideas (PBW).

SS Brewtech mentioned some things I can't get here so I followed advice from a FB friend (and some of you guys) and used PBW and cleaned it well. SS Brewtech told me to check the entire bucket with a clean white towel after and if I saw no oily residue or dirt, then I'm ok.

Got my Kotbusser in it now and will take a gravity sample in a few days and taste it. I'm sure if the bucket wasn't clean enough I'll taste it!

Got my Kotbusser in it now and will take a gravity sample in a few days and taste it. I'm sure if the bucket wasn't clean enough I'll taste it!

I have three, and all came quite clean. I've seen some on here post pictures with dark black spotting on rags and paper towels. Most I got was some very faint grey on my first one. The second two I didn't really get any dark color on the towels. All beers in them have come out perfectly fine.

Rev.

I've been thinking about buying a Brew Bucket. When you ferment with your Brew Bucket do you use a secondary or just leave it in the primary for 2 weeks+/-? What about lagering, do you rack to a secondary to lager?

Only time I used a secondary was to add Bourbon and Oak to a Stout for an extended condition. I would do the same for a fruit addition. Otherwise there is no need.

I've been thinking about buying a Brew Bucket. When you ferment with your Brew Bucket do you use a secondary or just leave it in the primary for 2 weeks+/-? What about lagering, do you rack to a secondary to lager?

For myself, I just use it as I would a plastic bucket... the main advantages are the racking valve, the trub cone, and the cleanability. So the secondary is just as optional as it would be with a bucket... I have dry-hopped in mine with no issue. I often will only rack to a secondary carboy because I need my bucket back to ferment in!

For lagering, you could stick the whole bucket in your lager fridge if you like, I have cold-crashed with my brew bucket in my keezer. Bear in mind that lagering usually takes several weeks, so your decision to lager in it may be similar to mine, in that you won't simply because you'll need the bucket for your next batch. But it won't hurt it to do so.

Just for the sake of clarity - the stopped included is too small to support both the airlock and a Thermowell so I had to drill a larger hold in the lid itself.

^I think I remember you mentioning that you wanted to try some sort of food grade silicone adhesive for that valve? Make sure to fill it with water first to see how it holds. I think you should look into silver solder as a better way to attach fittings to stainless steel without expensive TIG welding...

^ Trying to use an NPT nipple as a bulkhead fitting will most certainly cause leaks. That's gonna leak like crazy (now or later) if you don't weld that.

The way that sits right now it's tremendously unsanitary. Not to mention you'll never get any trub out of that. I have 1.5" butterfly valve and the trub is still difficult to get out. and with the SS cone slope it's not steep enough to capture yeast effectively.

I have to agree with the above comments. That, and why go through the effort when the Chronical is only $170 more?

Rev.

Anyone considered pour the hot wort into the Brew Bucket and chilling in there, instead of chilling in the kettle then transferring?

It works fine, as far as chilling, but the trub hasn't had a chance to settle out yet. You may end up with far more trub in the bottom during fermentation. That may not be a problem, depending on how much wort you have to ferment. If you are pushing the limits of the fermenter with clean wort, the extra trub may not allow you to get all of it in.

Anyone considered pour the hot wort into the Brew Bucket and chilling in there, instead of chilling in the kettle then transferring?

I started chilling just enough for the hot break and then dumping in around 100F. Shortens brew days! :mug:

Ok, so I'm getting 2 of these this week and was wondering how everyone is attaching their temperature probe if not using a thermowell. I don't really want to use tape like I have on my better bottles since that leaves sticky residue. Any suggestions?

I use electrical tape to hold the probe on. It will peel off without leaving a residue. Cover it with a big sponge and piece of scrap plywood and a bungee cord. The plywood just holds the sponge flat.

Back