Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I had one of these in my cart and checked out yesterday evening at 175.00. This must have been a really recent change by the looks of it. I just got an email from KegOutlet asking for another 50 dollars, what a bummer.

Went ahead and cancelled. This thing was priced right at 175, my 2cents. After inspecting my first one, I'm not sure I see the value at 240 (with shipping) for it.

You know what? I have a right to be annoyed with this if I want to.
To me this company starts selling a few hundred of these things at a reasonable price, gets everyone all excited, puts out another 300 to everyone across the nation and beyond so 2-3% of those who want one actually can get it. Now that everyone is savoring the product, they put it out at a 25% mark up. This might be good business or supply and demand for some. I call it bush league. Yes, they said it was a limited time offer, but basically it was unavailable to most because of the low number of items.

This is a spin off of the old bait and switch. Any beer that I made in the higher price version would taste sour to me.

You are correct you can be disappointed , at the same time a business can raise their pricing as MB has. You also have the right to not purchase said product. As far as the bait and switch, that argument is invalid. SS is not offering one product and supplying another. They are offering and producing the same item, albeit the new source for the buckets has chosen to increase the price.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think the importance of the longstanding "introductory price" notice can't be overstated. Quite the opposite of "bait and switch", SS Brewtech has actually done exactly what they've promised from day one. Explicitly. Not a shred of chicanery.

The meaning behind the introductory price was pretty clear, in my mind. It basically translates to "we're going to reduce or eliminate our profit margin at first to gain a foothold in the market and let the early adopters give us good word-of-mouth advertising". Hardly a novel or surprising tactic for startups. Loss leaders are everywhere in retail.

That being said, I do wonder if the new price point won't end up being a mistake, even ignoring the intro price. Going over $200 crosses a significant mental threshold. I can certainly feel like this product is worth it, sight unseen, at under $200 shipped. But to buy a metal bucket for $225...well that just sounds like a whole lot of money. Amazing what the perceptive difference is on either side of that arbitrary line.

And I don't think selling 300 buckets in 4 min is necessarily a sign that the market will be sufficiently enthusiastic about a price point 30% higher. I think the crush was a product of scarcity more than perceived value. Craft beer lovers are known for killing themselves to be at the right place at the right time for a hard-to-find product, and that's not necessarily a reflection of good value. No one really believes Hopslam is worth $18 for a sixpack. But that doesn't keep my local bottle shop from unloading 45 cases of it in 3 hours, with dozens or even hundreds more customers wondering why they couldn't get any. Make something scarce and of reasonable quality, and people will abandon all reason in an effort to get it.

I wish SS Brewtech well, and I hope the quality of the product supports the price their asking enough for them to be successful with it. But to my mind, it seems like they've entered a different regime and made things a good bit harder from here out. But then again, selling each one at a loss isn't exactly a viable long-term strategy, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Totally agree with TVHABrewguy and missedtheapex. A lot of sour grapes posts likely from A) people who procrastinated and didn't get one, or B) people who never intended to spend the money in the first place. It's too bad, the homebrew community is usually better than that. Blichmann certainly doesn't get that kind of critique and their stuff is way more expensive than SS Brew Tech's line up, before and after the price increases. So I think SS deserves some slack. All they want to do is help homebrewers by bringing in a mid-range product line that is within reach of a large demographic of people who homebrew. Their products aren't for the budget crowd and the premium homebrewers will likely go Blichmann. It's really that simple. I'm sure some crafty homebrewers will come up with a budget version in the future, that is the strength of our community.

Blichmann certainly doesn't get that kind of critique and their stuff is way more expensive than SS Brew Tech's line up, before and after the price increases

This guy gets it. I've never heard people whine and complain over a new product being introduced into the market like this, if you thinks its too expensive stick with a bucket or glass carboy, those have worked for decades. If you want something fancier/easier get this. I can't seem to find a thread with people complaining about a $1200 conical but $50 increase here and people are basically wishing SSbrewtech to fail. Hopefully some other entrepreneurs come up with a similar product to introduce some competition or a new better/cheaper product to keep the HB community going strong. I applaud SSbrewtech in general for entering the HB product market with something brand new, just like I applaud Blichmann for their new ideas even though I consider them too expensive for me, but I still appreciate the ingenuity to keep development for the homebrewer fresh.

Totally forgot

The first beer I did with the bucket for this review I got a Gold Medal for American Pale Ale at the Buzz Brew Off ...first beer comp on the Midwest brewer of the year circuit :)

It's official the Brew Bucket makes Award winning beer !!!

Totally forgot

The first beer I did with the bucket for this review I got a Gold Medal for American Pale Ale at the Buzz Brew Off ...first beer comp on the Midwest brewer of the year circuit :)

It's official the Brew Bucket makes Award winning beer !!!

Congrats! Share the recipe, dude :)

Apple products have a 400% margin

Citation Needed.

One of the main reason Apple's products are more expensive than similarly specced competing products is due to the fact that they use, on the whole, higher quality and often custom-engineered components, rather than putting together devices using existing, mass-produced parts. You can buy a lenovo notebook with roughly the same specs as a Macbook Pro, or an Asus tablet that functions similarly to an iPad, but I can assure you that the end experience will not be the same, and neither will the average lifespan of the product or the resale value. If Apple stuff isn't your cup of tea, that's cool (I prefer my HTC One to any iPhone), but to claim they are making a 400% margin on their products is just ridiculous.

A more fair analogy would be comparing a BMW or Volkswagen compact to a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla.

To bring this back around to topic, I would also make the same comparison between the SS bucket and other mid-priced fermenters that have hit the market recently.

Disclosure: I am a former IT professional who uses Apple, Microsoft, Android and Linux products.

Did you even bother to Google? 2 second search:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2012/09/20/iphone-5-markup-tops-300/

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/02/10/apple-can-build-a-500-ipad-for-240/

The average manufacturer's markup is more like 40% if they are lucky and usually they need to mark down from there to sell through big box stores. Apple uses the same contract manufacturers in Taiwan that everyone else uses. Foxconn being the major one they all share. It's all lipstick on a pig.

http://qz.com/114110/apple-iphone-manufacturers-pegatron-foxconn-taiwan/

From the article you linked:

Based solely on parts and manufacturing, iSuppli estimates that Apple's mark-up ranges from 117% for the low end unit to $147% for the high. The most profitable model would appear to be the mid-range, 3G-ready 32-GB iPad, with a sticker price of $729 and an estimated manufacturing cost of $287.15.

Based solely on parts and manufacturing. There are plenty of other costs such as R&D, marketing, store overhead, software R&D that other manufacturers don't have, support, etc. that go into these products. I'm not denying that there's a markup, but it's not pure profit.

From the article you linked:
Based solely on parts and manufacturing. There are plenty of other costs such as R&D, marketing, store overhead, support, etc. that go into these products. I'm not denying that there's a markup, but it's not pure profit.

Blah, blah, blah. You keep telling yourself that. Next time you want to be a smart ass and pull the whole "citation please" thing, do some research yourself first. They make hundreds of products, the margin is going to vary from device to device. But the point remains, their margin is higher than comparative products and manufacturers. Can they get it, yes. Do I have a problem with that, no. Is it a fact, yes. You're just a forum troll.

I wouldn't compare the prodcuts from ss brewing and blichmann as the same as acer vs. apple. It's actually probably more comparable to The Galaxy vs. Iphone. I purchased the brewing bucket at $175 as a conical alternative, because to me a conical just seemed so expensive, out of reach, and a gamble at that price. But once I had one, I had full confidence in the quality and thanks to my wife, I was able to purchase a conical. I've always felt that Blichmann products were overpriced, but there is no denying their reputation in the homebrewing community. Which leads to my next point.

Without the apple name, the Iphone just wouldn't sell for $600+. Apple has fanboys that no matter what apple puts out, they will buy at whatever price they were to ask and whole heartedly defend that product to the bitter end no matter what, even claiming inferior quality of any product that dares compete with their beloved products. Blichmann has the same fanboy following. There is no denying that. I'm not saying they don't make good products, just that there is a solid following where Apple/Blichmann is always good and Microsoft/Anyone other than Blichmann sucks. Just to quickly address Apples cost, their margin is roughly 50% after costs including overhead. http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-cost-what-apple-is-paying/ (in short, R&D and Administrative costs only come to $60/phone on top of Manufacturing/parts costs) I'm sure Blichmann's profit margin is higher than Ss Brewing's and most of the other competitors. That does not mean that all other competitors make inferior products or are not as high quality, just that they don't have the name power and reputation. Something that can be overcome. Who makes the better phone, Samsung with Galaxy or Apple with Iphone? The answer all depends on who you ask. For some the decision will be based only on price and they will say neither and choose the cheapest phone that fits their need regardless of who made it. For some it will be apple, but they will settle for the Galaxy because of the cheaper price, and still be happy. Some will say Apple all the way and shell out the money without question. Some will do the same for Samsung. Then you have the people who will weigh their options carefully, come up with an opinion and make choice based on the best information they have at the time. Then you will always have those that say.....I don't even want a smartphone, just give me a good old flip phone any day you are all crazy. I see the same arguments happening here over fermentors.

This is going to be my last post on the subject because I don't wish to derail the thread. Having a difference of opinion (and expressing it) and a low post count does not make me a forum troll. I apologize if my original post was too terse in nature. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Without the apple name, the Iphone just wouldn't sell for $600+. Apple has fanboys that no matter what apple puts out, they will buy at whatever price they were to ask and whole heartedly defend that product to the bitter end no matter what

I agree about the Apple name, I think to a certain degree I may be an Apple fan boy but I do not bow down to everything Apple, I work in I.T. and deal with various O.S., mobile devices, and machines. Personally I carry around a MacBook air, because I like the feel and workmanship, the O.S. is good too, it's dual boot, so I can use Windows when needed. Point is that when I was ready to replace my fat ass plasticy Alienware it became more about workmanship and feel. I wanted a machine that felt good in my hands, portable, and aesthetically pleasing, without skimping on power. Maybe I just drank the Apple Kool Aid, but I'm happy.

I love my Blichmann kettles and burner, and took a gamble with the Brewbucket and yes I pulled the trigger on the Chronical. My decision was based on China. The reason being that with Blichmann I thought I was supporting a U.S. manufacturer. Not sue how true this may be, but I heard trough the grape vine that the stuff is manufactured in China and is in part being assembled here. When it came to make a choice between China and China, I went with SsBrewtech, partly on price point, but mostly that these things are photogenic . I just came across a conical that is fully made in the U.S. I'm kicking myself for not supporting the U.S. made product, but maybe I'll forget when these items finally arrive if they look as good in person as they do in the pictures, I'm hoping the quality is as good as some reviews have stated. And now I think I'm part of the problem.

Eh, if you're happy with the product, that's all that matters. Once I bite the bullet and purchase something, I stop reading reviews and do my best to ignore other people's opinions. Too many people get bent out of shape over the products other people use, or feel the need to constantly justify their own purchases and choices, and I just find it silly.

Besides, if you're worried that someone is going to say you've spent way too much money on something, you've chosen the wrong hobby. :D

I wouldn't compare the prodcuts from ss brewing and blichmann as the same as acer vs. apple...

Definitely not Acer and Apple. Acer's computers sell at most at a 5% margin, just like Dell. A comparison between VW and Audi would be a better model. General consumer model versus premium brand. They share components, but the Audi has some upgrades, a premium branding, and market to a different demographic.

There is also a difference between margin on COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) and overall profit margin. Most of the research out there are basing their findings on overall margin (because that is what is publicly available for figures). However that can be skewed by investments, a new plant to make MacBooks for example. There is a lot of tricks companies can and do play to lower their taxable profit. To set a minimum MSRP price, most companies use the 30/20/10 rule (Materials/Labor/Overhead) for COGS which would include marketing, R&D, etc... Less popular brands or commodity items tend to have to retreat from that figure, and more popular brands can charge more.

That would make the cost of the iPhone around $360 for the $600 model. I say that is too high based on the fact that Apple pays cash, purchases components for an entire year and for a year or more out, and can demand better pricing on components. It's probably more around $250.

So to relate that to the brew bucket, at $225, assuming that was the original MSRP goal, the COGS on the bucket is $135. Sounds reasonable to me. So at $175 they were making maybe a $40 profit. Likely not because of the additional investments they needed to make to fix website issues, and grow capacity to meet demand. Anyhow, basically nobody is getting rich over at SS Brew Tech. 500 units a month at $40 profit, is $20,000.00.

But I digress, we have gotten off topic and nobody probably cares at this point! :cross:

Eh, if you're happy with the product, that's all that matters. Once I bite the bullet and purchase something, I stop reading reviews and do my best to ignore other people's opinions. Too many people get bent out of shape over the products other people use, or feel the need to constantly justify their own purchases and choices, and I just find it silly...

Yet you did that in your own original post:

You can buy a lenovo notebook with roughly the same specs as a Macbook Pro, or an Asus tablet that functions similarly to an iPad, but I can assure you that the end experience will not be the same, and neither will the average lifespan of the product or the resale value.

Who are you to assure me that the experience won't be the same or better using a Lenovo ThinkPad versus an Apple MacBook Pro, for example? That's the same old line Apple fan boys use to insult Windows PC users and justify their purchase of Apple products. I own both BTW, so honestly I could care less. Just pointing out the hypocrisy...

Whatever...

Thought I was on the ZDNET.COM website for a little bit, with all the Apple/IT talk...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to using the BrewBucket that I bought & received from Kegoutlet.com a few weeks ago as soon as it gets reasonably warm in my garage to brew again - and using one of my BeerBugs to monitor gravity.

What are you losers talking about??? get off my thread :confused:

LOL! Sorry Schumed, I was trying to keep it relevant to the Brew Bucket and addressing the complaints of the price increase. Then people jumped all over my analogy of the cost of Apple products to Windows PC products. God forbid you call Apple products pricy! The Apple fan boys will hunt you down no matter the forum!

Yet you did that in your own original post:

Who are you to assure me that the experience won't be the same or better using a Lenovo ThinkPad versus an Apple MacBook Pro, for example? That's the same old line Apple fan boys use to insult Windows PC users and justify their purchase of Apple products. I own both BTW, so honestly I could care less. Just pointing out the hypocrisy...

Whatever...

I don't see hypocrisy, and I never said the experience of using a non-apple product wouldn't be better, just different. Android and Windows 8 are a different experience than iOS. It's not a matter of opinon - it's a fact by definition, and whether one is better than another is subjective, but Apple's business model is to bet on people buying their hardware for the experience of using their software. It is what it is. I wasn't attempting to insult anyone or their preferences, and while I own an Apple laptop, I also own an Asus tablet, an HTC phone, and a desktop that runs Linux and Windows (which I also said in my original post). I don't think anyone could call me a fanboy. Anyway, there are plenty of better reasons to hate on Apple, like using Foxconn (who exploits workers) and patent trolling.

Anyway, I apologize if it seemed like my original post was too combative, and that I didn't thoroughly research my comments before posting. Can we move on now? Hugs?:D

LOL! Sorry Schumed, I was trying to keep it relevant to the Brew Bucket and addressing the complaints of the price increase. Then people jumped all over my analogy of the cost of Apple products to Windows PC products. God forbid you call Apple products pricy! The Apple fan boys will hunt you down no matter the forum!

Guess we did veer off topic, I think the recent price increase and MoreBeer announcement triggered the change in conversation. It was fun reading trough everything thought. I can't wait to get mine, I got one during the 5 minute buying frenzy. Apart from good looks, I'm really intrigued by the lid, which seems easy to open. Dry hopping will be a breeze, I had stopped using a carboy because it is difficult to clean, not to mention I ended up in the ER from washing a drinking glass, holding a carboy up in the air is just asking for it, so recently I just went ahead and began using the regular ol plastic bucket. Pop open the lid, drop something in and you're done. The carboy is reserved for something more long term.

I have to admit that I come back often to look at the pictures Schumed posted
at the beginning of this thread. It gives me a real insight of what I'm expecting to get.

I think trboyden & Tandoori need to quit competing for 1st chair skin flutist and focus on the the topic of the thread, or maybe subscribe to the Boneyard to cool off.

Sorry again. Here's some pictures of my bucket, maybe that will make people feel better! ;)

1488851_10152140912108834_312795837_n.jpg

1488283_10152140912058834_351952040_n.jpg

For what it's worth. I thought your apple analogy fit perfectly well into the discussion. Sometimes for a better perspective you need to find parallels.

Guess we did veer off topic, I think the recent price increase and MoreBeer announcement triggered the change in conversation. It was fun reading trough everything thought. I can't wait to get mine, I got one during the 5 minute buying frenzy. Apart from good looks, I'm really intrigued by the lid, which seems easy to open. Dry hopping will be a breeze, I had stopped using a carboy because it is difficult to clean, not to mention I ended up in the ER from washing a drinking glass, holding a carboy up in the air is just asking for it, so recently I just went ahead and began using the regular ol plastic bucket. Pop open the lid, drop something in and you're done. The carboy is reserved for something more long term.

I have to admit that I come back often to look at the pictures Schumed posted
at the beginning of this thread. It gives me a real insight of what I'm expecting to get.
On dry hopping, you are right. I just dry hopped a white IPA and in my initial review didn't even think of it. But Wednesday when I dropped in the hops I thought about how much easier it was than trying to pull a bucket lid off, or even my better bottle bungs. Quick and easy with minimal exposure I thought.

My fault, I allowed it to get off topic. What was lost in the debate was this piece of info which I think puts a nail in the huff and puff of the price increase debate. Based on a 30/20/10 cost of goods sold estimate...

So to relate that to the brew bucket, at $225, assuming that was the original MSRP goal, the COGS on the bucket is $135. Sounds reasonable to me. So at $175 they were making maybe a $40 profit. Likely not because of the additional investments they needed to make to fix website issues, and grow capacity to meet demand. Anyhow, basically nobody is getting rich over at SS Brew Tech. 500 units a month at $40 profit, is $20,000.00.

Does it suck to pay more, sure. Is it worth it? It is until something cheaper or with additional features comes along. Until then, it's the only thing like it on the market.

:mug:

So I just tried to pull a sample from my bucket and there was zero flow, tried rotating the arm but no joy...any reason why this would happen? I pulled the airlock out too incase there was a suction or something but still no dice. Could the trub be that high or plugging the outlet maybe? 5 gal ESB so I can't believe there would be that much but maybe

Latest posts

Back