Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have missed this question in the 84 pages but how is the pre-configured brew-boss profile on BeerSmith? Did you need to adjust anything after your first batch using it?

I too would love to hear what items should be tweaked on the BS brew-boss profile. I have only used the profile once since getting my Brew-Boss. I under-estimated the loss due to boil/dead space. (5 gal in 15 gal COFI kettle) As a result I ended wiith 4.5ish into fermentor. Next batch will assume 1.5 gal boil loss in BS.
Others?

Yeah I think BS has 1 gallon which I think is a little low. Though I think dropping the power would help with boil off

I too would love to hear what items should be tweaked on the BS brew-boss profile. I have only used the profile once since getting my Brew-Boss. I under-estimated the loss due to boil/dead space. (5 gal in 15 gal COFI kettle) As a result I ended wiith 4.5ish into fermentor. Next batch will assume 1.5 gal boil loss in BS.
Others?

The main thing I tweaked was Boil Power - PwrB under Edit Parameters. I set it to 70 (basicly translates to 70% power at full boil). That seems to give it the boil I like, some may like it at 60 or somewhere in between.

After you set the PwrB, put 5 or 6 gallons of water in it then boil it for an hour. Measure the water when done, now you have your boil off rate. Plug that rate into Beersmith, in addition to how much you lose in your pumps and at the bottom of your kettle and you should be good to go on your profile and hitting your wort level at the end correctly.

My boil off rate in the humid state of Utah at 4000 ft above sea level is 1.30 gallons per hour at 70%, however even at that I have noticed that I boil off more than that here in the winter time with the drier air.

Check this out:

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone used the Brew-Boss for a multi-day brew process? I'm thinking of a kettle-soured style like Berliner Weisse where the temperature is held in an elevated range for a few days before the boil.

I'm having a bunch of issues with it crashing. Last night I brewed and got through everything and went to clean up and circ some hot PPW through the system. For the life of me I could not get the heating element to turn on. I power cycled the tablet, unplugged everything, dropped wifi and reconnected. No matter what I did I could not get the heating element to turn on. The pump would recirc so I know that it was connected. Has anyone had this issue?

Found the issue. The heating element popped and there is a hole in it. I've only been through 4 boils. Has anyone else had this issue?

That does not sound right at all, you should contact Darin. That sounds like either like a faulty element or bad wiring, assuming you haven't dry fired the element. Tell us what you find out.

Has anyone used the Brew-Boss for a multi-day brew process? I'm thinking of a kettle-soured style like Berliner Weisse where the temperature is held in an elevated range for a few days before the boil.

What's the max amount of minutes you can put into a single step? Put in the max number, if it's not enough just create another step until you get to where you want. This 'should' work.

I read a post of someone who successfully used it for that, but not going to go search, so that's second-hand.

So I am wiring up my system. I didn't get a plug from Darin when I ordered my system. I picked up a 30amp dryer plug and receptacle to complete this. Looking for some advice. The three wires on the controller get hooked up to the plug with the green hooked up to the L prong the white and black wires going to the flat prongs? Is this correct?
I also bought a GFCI breaker for my breaker box. When hooking up those wires the white is the neutral which would be hooked up to the slot for the L shaped prong with the red and black being hot lines going to the slots for the flat prongs? Is this correct?

I had the crashing issue with the previous BB version. I visited with Darin about it a few time. What I was getting is interference with Blue tooth appliciation as well as my cell phone. (I listen to pod casts over a speaker) Also I had a plugged microwave next to my tablet. I cleaned up these items and no further problems. When I was first editing the programs, for some reason one number slot would be blank, that would stop the program in its tracks and force me to reboot. Hope this helps.

So I am wiring up my system. I didn't get a plug from Darin when I ordered my system. I picked up a 30amp dryer plug and receptacle to complete this. Looking for some advice. The three wires on the controller get hooked up to the plug with the green hooked up to the L prong the white and black wires going to the flat prongs? Is this correct?
I also bought a GFCI breaker for my breaker box. When hooking up those wires the white is the neutral which would be hooked up to the slot for the L shaped prong with the red and black being hot lines going to the slots for the flat prongs? Is this correct?

If you need to ask these questions, you should probably hire (or at least consult with) an electrician.

Here check out this website: http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-240-volt-outlets.html to wire your Dryer outlet.

Your wiring setup for the Brew Boss Should be Hot Hot Ground. See Why do you only use 3-wires for the 240vac circuit and require a separate 120vac plug. Why don't you get the 120vac for the pump off of half of the 240vac? It is a good idea to read up on that stuff and make sure you are wiring everything correctly.

i had to restart the app at least 8 times to get it running due to crashes last session. it also crashes when editing. it is the only program running on my android. also when editing the keyboard covers the line you are trying to edit so you're blindly typing. love the system but the app makes it very frustrating.

i had to restart the app at least 8 times to get it running due to crashes last session. it also crashes when editing. it is the only program running on my android. also when editing the keyboard covers the line you are trying to edit so you're blindly typing. love the system but the app makes it very frustrating.

^This.

Did you have these same crash problems when you did wet runs?

yes, in general i get multiple crashes whenever i try to load or edit a program. once it successfully loads and is actually running I haven't had a crash but its a major pita to get to that point.

What version of the app are you guys running? I thought the keyboard covering up the lines was fixed a version or two back. Go to the Google Play store or whatever Apple has and make sure you are running the newest version. (Version is Brew Boss 1.25 as I write this.)

E-mail Darrin ask him for the older version, it seems to be working for me.
As for the editing issue, you should be able to scroll the line you are working on up to where you can see it.

E-mail Darrin ask him for the older version, it seems to be working for me.
As for the editing issue, you should be able to scroll the line you are working on up to where you can see it.

I second this approach. I posted about similar issues back on page 83. Darrin sent me the APK file of version 1.18. This iteration is solid.

The latest version 1.25 has some issues related to comparability. As I posted earlier, Darrin emailed and stated he is working on the fix.

I've been using 1.18 without issue on a Kindle Fire until the fix is released.

It's super frustrating when the app that runs your amazing brew system keeps crashing. I continue to have faith that Darrin will follow through and fix the issue. He hasn't given me reason to doubt.

I was getting some volumes all dialed in today and noticed that when I tried to "Load Saved Brew Step" the brew steps would come up in the list but the actual "program" of those steps wouldn't come up. How do you switch from one brew step file to another?

Not sure how to say it but I am wanting to do a fresh squeezed clone and have been looking into setting the brew steps for the brew boss and am not sure how to post my steps. If someone has done this already could you post if you know how so I can compare to my steps. This will be my first brew using the brew boss and want to make sure I have it right or if a guru on the brew boss could give me there contact info so I can make sure I have it right that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think a while ago, one of the guys here shared a google sheets link with his profiles. That's probably your best bet for comparing. Or perhaps a combo of the step generator (discussed a few pages back) and a collaborative Google sheets link.

Not sure how to say it but I am wanting to do a fresh squeezed clone and have been looking into setting the brew steps for the brew boss and am not sure how to post my steps. If someone has done this already could you post if you know how so I can compare to my steps. This will be my first brew using the brew boss and want to make sure I have it right or if a guru on the brew boss could give me there contact info so I can make sure I have it right that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This thread may be of use to you.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=533633

you could open the brew profile in a text editor (like notepad) and copy/paste it into you post. Or, open it as a "csv" file in excel, and post a screenshot. Or, post a couple android screenshots to show the whole thing.

The handy generator spreadsheet tool is at http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

I just updated the Brew Boss step generator on my site to now allow you to also load a step file in addition to exporting. I also added the ability to give the step file a name when exporting. Let me know about any bugs. (this will still not work in IE)

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

Just to make sure I understand how to do this...So I would: 1) open up your step generator from my MacBook Pro. 2) Create a step file using your BB step generator. 3) Export the .stp file to my MacBook. 4) email the .stp file to myself as an attachment. 5) Open up my email account from tablet that has the BB app on it. 6) Download the .stp file from my email to my tablet. 7) Place that .stp file into the appropriate folder of the BB app (but I don't know where to find this folder). 5) then use the step file in a brew.

Is this correct?

1) open up your step generator from my MacBook Pro. 2) Create a step file using your BB step generator. 3) Export the .stp file to my MacBook. 4) email the .stp file to myself as an attachment. 5) Open up my email account from tablet that has the BB app on it. 6) Download the .stp file from my email to my tablet. 7) Place that .stp file into the appropriate folder of the BB app (but I don't know where to find this folder). 5) then use the step file in a brew.

Is this correct?

Yeah that would work. I use an app called AirDroid on the tablet that lets me connect to the tablet wirelessly and drop the file right in the appropriate folder without the need to email to myself. I don't have my tablet with me but finding the folder the step files live in is fairly easy. I'll look at it tonight and update the page with some general instructions. I kept that part pretty vague so I wouldn't need to update it if Darin changed something. (the location of the step files has changed before)

I just updated the Brew Boss step generator on my site to now allow you to also load a step file in addition to exporting. I also added the ability to give the step file a name when exporting. Let me know about any bugs. (this will still not work in IE)

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

Snicklefritz, in your default setup I see you have a step between mashing out and heating to boil where you raise the temp to 190 F then prompt the user to remove the grain bag. Was that the default for the Brew Boss setup or did you add that in? (It has been so long I don't remember the default Brew Boss setup.) If so what does it add to the brewing process?

I usually remove the grains when mashout is complete, the grains are never heated over 168 F, and let them drip dry while the kettle heats to a boil. Is there something better about leaving them in until you hit 190 F?

By the way thanks for making the Step Generator, I find it very useful.:mug:

I don't leave the grains in there until it hits 190. I tend to remove he bag and then let it sit there on that step while the bag drains. I set it to 190 because I want to start getting up to boiling temps. Once the bag is done draining I'll advance to the next step but it will be closer to boiling than it would have been at mashout. I probably don't have the steps in there correctly but it saves 10-15 minutes i'd say.

Letting grains sit above 170 is putting you at risk for unwanted tannins

somewhat true, but understanding it better would be beneficial to anyone who mashes:
tannin extraction rate is dependant on both temperature and pH.
Note that decoction mashing often takes a portion of the entire mash (grain and liquid) to a boil. The pH buffering provided by the grains prevents excess tannin extraction at high temperature.

More info (though I couldn't find a real numerical graph of tannin/temp/ph numbers):
http://beerandwinejournal.com/sparge-session/
http://beerandwinejournal.com/tannins-in-the-boil/
http://beerandwinejournal.com/tannins-mash/

edit: more gooder sciency numbers (summary: keep pH closer to 5.2-4, and well under 6, to keep tannin extraction rate acceptable.):
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/How_pH_affects_brewing#Extraction_of_Tannins
https://byo.com/stories/item/147-ar...you-boil-part-of-your-mash-during-a-decoction
http://beersmith.com/blog/2015/10/2...ains-oversparging-and-hot-sparging-your-beer/
http://www.nordeastbrewersalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/water-and-your-mash-ph.pdf

Maybe this has been covered before, but 88 pages is a lot to read through!

I've just was given a big bag of fresh hops, where as I usually use pellets. How do you guys filter out whole hops used in the boil? I assume if I just let them float free they would clog the the pump and/or counterflow chiller when I transfer to my fermenter.

I suppose I could grab a hop sock, but don't those things have kinda poor circulation/utilization.....

Maybe this has been covered before, but 88 pages is a lot to read through!

I've just was given a big bag of fresh hops, where as I usually use pellets. How do you guys filter out whole hops used in the boil? I assume if I just let them float free they would clog the the pump and/or counterflow chiller when I transfer to my fermenter.

I suppose I could grab a hop sock, but don't those things have kinda poor circulation/utilization.....

hop spider, which is just a really large hop sock that might be made of metal. the key is that whatever you are putting the hops in, don't over-fill it, so you get good circulation. I don't put more than 1oz of hops in a regular 7-inch synthetic hop bag.

I was looking into getting a SS hop filter from Utah Biodiesel until I started reading about poor fluid flow through the filter. Anyone able to comment on this from a practical standpoint. By that I mean, do your beers taste just as good when using the hop filter or are they not as hoppy?

Yes. I will either use my SS filter from arbor fab or a Wilser bag designed to fit my entire kettle. The bag provides a lot more flow area for the hops, but I taste no difference in my beers when using the SS filter.

I've never read where anyone actually compared the IBUs between the methods with lab analysis. It'd be easy enough with White Labs offering that analysis fairly cheap nowadays. I reckon most folks that say there's a difference aren't even doing side by side batches, controlling every other variable besides how they choose to, or not choose to, filter their hops.

Back