Brew belt vs. Fermwrap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezycow

Reaction score
So I use a "dorm" fridge to do my fermentation in. I have a johnson a419 controller for cooling and the fridge stays in the house. But in the winter time I have a hard time raising the temp to finish off my ales. I don't have much space to consider with the carboy in there and I use glass carboys.

So they question is...brew belt or fermwrap??? What's your opinion...

I use a fermwrap but have mine taped to the inside wall of the chest freezer. Not sure if the dorm fridge would be big enough however.

Personally I'd go with the fermwrap since it covers a bigger area on the carboy. But to be fair, I've never used the Brewbelt.

Check this out. This is what I do (with a blanket covering the carboy)

ForumRunner_20120113_130000.jpg

Most controllers allow you to switch to heating if the temp drops too low. This is what I do when it gets too cold.

I use a fermwrap but have mine taped to the inside wall of the chest freezer. Not sure if the dorm fridge would be big enough however.

Personally I'd go with the fermwrap since it covers a bigger area on the carboy. But to be fair, I've never used the Brewbelt.

Same here. I have a fermwrap tywrapped across the back of my fermentation fridge. I have a dual temperature controller so I can keep the temperature exact, no matter what the temperature is in my basement. Those quartz lights get very hot.

IMG_20111205_145734.jpg

Back