Brew Balls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just thought of something. wouldnt a piece of hops or krausen stuck to a ball make it sink faster than it is calibrated for?

just thought of something. wouldnt a piece of hops or krausen stuck to a ball make it sink faster than it is calibrated for?

Possibly, but it doesn't look like they're calibrated for dead-on SG readings, so I don't know how much of a problem it would be.

Cool idea, nonetheless.

I like the idea of not having to remove the airlock, inserting wine thief and risking infection.

Good luck seeing the balls through the kraeusen covering the headspace of the fermenter and through the opaque yeast in the fermenting beer!

Good luck seeing the balls through the kraeusen covering the headspace of the fermenter and through the opaque yeast in the fermenting beer!

It says on their site you probably wont be able to see during active fermentation (krausen) but here are some pics of it in the wort with active yeast and you can see them plain as day.

http://brewballstore.com/brewball_photos.html

Cool idea but I like knowing exactly where I am on fermentation when I am done, plus I'd still have to open the lid as I use buckets primarily for my primary fermentation.

I think it's a huge GIMMICK. Seriously. You know when your beer goes below 20 points and that's it. Most of my beers finish between 20 and 10 points. There is absolutely no accuracy with this. You WILL need to take a hydro reading no matter what. You won't be able to see them for most of fermentation because of krausen. Plus if any yeasties/hops get stuck on them, they lose accuracy. Sorry but don't try to fix what isn't broken (hydrometer.)

I think it's a huge GIMMICK. Seriously. You know when your beer goes below 20 points and that's it. Most of my beers finish between 20 and 10 points. There is absolutely no accuracy with this. You WILL need to take a hydro reading no matter what. You won't be able to see them for most of fermentation because of krausen. Plus if any yeasties/hops get stuck on them, they lose accuracy. Sorry but don't try to fix what isn't broken (hydrometer.)

Agreed...these are worthless. Especially when you consider the $20 price tag.

Even more worthless? I emailed them about a custom set over a month ago and never got a response. Meh...

Back