Brett or sach primary for mixed culture sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfolks

Reaction score
Going to do my first long term sour, and I'm curious what experienced people think about using Brett vs Sach in primary. If I go the sach route, I would add Brett, Pedio, and lacto into secondary after a clean primary. Alternatively I could add pedio and lacto in secondary after a 100% Brett primary.

(Disclaimer, I've read mtf, the tonsmeir book, and listened to many sour hours- just curious what experiences y'all have had with the two approaches)

I'm a fan of the funky flavors you get from Brett in secondary. I enjoy Brett Primary beers but they really aren't sours per se. I usually get more fruit than funk with Brett in primary.

I do pretty much everything in primary (sac, brett, lacto, dregs) for about a month then go secondary and add more dregs. I usually use saison yeasts for sac, i really enjoy that combo.

i tend to do a clean primary and add all bugs in secondary.

both methods work. i like waiting until secondary because it keeps bugs away from my primary gear.

Back