Brett + Kviek Pale Ale Help (First Brett Beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbas

Reaction score
I’m looking to brew a pale ale and ferment with brett + sacch. I've never brewed with brett and could use a bit of guidance. I will be using Omega's Hornindal Kveik and Omega Bit O Funk Brett.
I will be making a 10 gallon batch and will splitting into 2 separate fermenters. One fermenter will get the Kveik only and the other will get the brett and Kveik.
In the brett + Kveik fermenter I was planning on pitching the Kveik first at 95 F, waiting for 48-72 hours and then pitching the brett at about 72 F. I would let it sit 2 months and then dry hop 3 days before bottling. Any thoughts, critiques, or suggestions?

Looks good. Just keep an eye on your gravity as brett might not be done working at 2 months with a classic 152-154 mash temp. Kveik ferments fast so it could be done fermenting before you add the brett if thats a concern.

Doing something similar w a farmhouse ale. Hornindal kveik in one and Bring on the funk in the other. Debating on adding some kveik to it but but the blend is designed for primary and I want to see how it rides.

Did u brew it already? How’d it go?

Right - with Brett, you operate on its schedule, not yours. Dry hop when you see stable gravity over a few weeks.

But do you really want to "Bring on Da Funk"? If so, co-pitch!

I need to experiment with some kveiks.

I want to see how the blend is on its own. Kveik doesnt produce phenols so not sure how much more funk it would add. Next time I’ll give it a go.

Looks good. Just keep an eye on your gravity as brett might not be done working at 2 months with a classic 152-154 mash temp. Kveik ferments fast so it could be done fermenting before you add the brett if thats a concern.

Doing something similar w a farmhouse ale. Hornindal kveik in one and Bring on the funk in the other. Debating on adding some kveik to it but but the blend is designed for primary and I want to see how it rides.

Did u brew it already? How’d it go?

I got a little caught up and haven't had time to brew. This Sunday I am going for it. I will update the progress of the beer. I may just let the fermenter with the brett ride for 3+ months or so and see how it goes. I'm going to try not to take any samples, in an attempt to introduce as little oxygen as possible, until I dry hop or I may just skip the dry hop part entirely.

Latest posts

Back