Brett in primary moved to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
A question out to those with Brett experience and/or knowledge, preferably both.

I am planning on co-inoculating a 1.050 beer with both a Belgian Saison & a brett strain in the primary. According to my tap schedule, I expect to be drinking this about 3 months after pitching, and I would like to have significant brett influence by that time, so that’s why I chose to co-inoculate in primary, as opposed to waiting to add the brett in secondary.

Anyway, normally I would not leave a beer in the primary for that long, but I also wouldn't transfer to secondary until fermentation is complete. I want to believe that, in the case of this beer, if I transfer to secondary after the bulk of fermentation is done, the brett will remain in suspension and continue to do its work in secondary, further funkifying my saison. So, I'm just looking for confirmation on that approach: ie. Does it make sense to transfer to secondary when the gravity dips below, say, 1.010?

Pucker up, buttercup.

Sure you can transfer. You're right that a lot of the Brett will remain in suspension. You don't need much. I'd recommend transferring directly to a keg and keep it under pressure, releasing the pressure every once in a while. Brett does its magic quicker under pressure, so you'll have a better chance of that Brett character at 3 mos (which is a little early in my experience).

Brett will be in suspension. It is a very very slow yeast to floc out. I would guess that your beer will have good funk aroma but lack in the taste at three months. Some of my brett beers smell as funky as a barnyard after only a month but disappears on the tongue. One thing is for sure, once you start.... You can't stop the funk !!!! I make almost every thing with brett now :)

I'd recommend transferring directly to a keg and keep it under pressure, releasing the pressure every once in a while. Brett does its magic quicker under pressure, so you'll have a better chance of that Brett character at 3 mos (which is a little early in my experience).
That seems to make sense. Thanks for the input. Not sure if I'll have a spare keg, though. Might be time to pick up another one. Or two.
I would guess that your beer will have good funk aroma but lack in the taste at three months. Some of my brett beers smell as funky as a barnyard after only a month but disappears on the tongue.
Good stuff. Do you experience this flavor-fade phenomenon when you pitch Brett along with a sacc. strain in the primary, or when you wait until secondary to pitch the brett (or in both situations)?

I'll of course let CorporateHippie answer, but I've had that experience when copitching in primary and letting it ride. At 3 months it smelled like Brett but didn't taste like it, was finished fermenting so I bottled. Took 2 months to get awesome in the bottle.

I'll of course let CorporateHippie answer, but I've had that experience when copitching in primary and letting it ride. At 3 months it smelled like Brett but didn't taste like it, was finished fermenting so I bottled. Took 2 months to get awesome in the bottle.

I would say it can happen in both. brett takes 6-8 months to get real funky. I have a saison right now with brett and sach pitch at primary. Smells funky but only hints of it on the taste and it is 6 months old now. I have a Belgian Dubbel that sat in primary for 3 months before I pitched Brett B. That is two months old and I think it is funkier then the saison. I also have an "oud bruin--ish" carboy that gets all my funky dregs that I don't culture up. It has been going for close to a year now and has only minor funk on the nose and taste. However, I have a 100% brett b fermented pale ale that I did with brett b at high temps. I think it is 2 months old now and has the best subtle funk flavor. perfect for introducing brett-virgins to the yeast.

also...I have done ciders with 100% brett and I get NO funk at all, just real clean apple flavor.

I would say it can happen in both. brett takes 6-8 months to get real funky. I have a saison right now with brett and sach pitch at primary. Smells funky but only hints of it on the taste and it is 6 months old now. I have a Belgian Dubbel that sat in primary for 3 months before I pitched Brett B. That is two months old and I think it is funkier then the saison. I also have an "oud bruin--ish" carboy that gets all my funky dregs that I don't culture up. It has been going for close to a year now and has only minor funk on the nose and taste. However, I have a 100% brett b fermented pale ale that I did with brett b at high temps. I think it is 2 months old now and has the best subtle funk flavor. perfect for introducing brett-virgins to the yeast.

also...I have done ciders with 100% brett and I get NO funk at all, just real clean apple flavor.
So, in short, you can offer me a lot of information that gives me NO information whatsoever! :D

Seriously, though... all good stuff. I guess that just goes to show there's a very good reason they call it 'wild' yeast.

I do plan on fermenting pretty warm during primary. Probably starting @ 68-70, and ramping up the temp daily to the mid-80's over 2 weeks. I have to think that would inspire the bret to kick out more character than a primary ferment held at regular ale temps, all other factors being equal.

I'll tell ya what... I just rearranged my tap schedule, and I'm going to squeeze a Jun/July Kolsch into the slot where my sour used to reside, thereby pushing the sour out another 8-10 weeks later, tapping it ~5 months from brewday. Hopefully that'll get me closer to the level of funk that I desire. :fro:

If not, bottoms up anyway. Thanks guys.

In 3 months, I don't think you will get squat from the Brett. I may be wrong, but I really don't think you will get anything/much.

I assume your plan is to pitch big on the Brett .... trying to get the population high early to get Brett flavor. Unfortunatly, this is the opposite of what you need to do. Brett flavors come about when Brett reproduces anaerobically and works on yeast esters already created.

Back