Brett B. trios. (WLP644) VS Brett C. (WLP645) 100% brett flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kesslerr1

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience making 100% brett IPAs with both of these. I have found tons of post on Brett Trios and and some on brett C. but nothing comparing the two. I am interested in making a few 100% IPA and am curious if any one has experience with both these strains and can compare and contrast the two. Especially if someone has done a split batch :rockin:

Per White Labs descriptions

Brett B. Trios
This Belgian strain, used traditionally for 100% Brettanomyces fermentations, produces a slightly tart beer with delicate characteristics of mango and pineapple. Can also be used to produce effervescence when bottle-conditioning.

Brett C.
Low intensity Brett character. Originally isolated from strong English stock beer, in the early 20th century. The Brett flavors produced are more subtle than WLP650 and WLP653. More aroma than flavor contribution. Fruity, pineapple like aroma. B. claussenii is closely related to B. anomalus.

:beard:

I recently did a 100% Brett C blonde to check out the profile. Got some of the pineapple/tropical aroma right out of the fermenter but once it was carbed up it just tasted like a kolsh. I enjoyed it but it was surprisingly clean, with some light fruity esters. If you're going IPA I would use trios.

Thanks for the input Tagz! Any idea how 100% brett C. would do in pumpkin beer? I'm planning ahead and am thinking of making a pumpkin beer for the fall that is either 100% brett or 3711 french saison and brett combo. Your super clean description got me thinking it could do well after a a month or two in a bottle.

Back