Brett advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
A few weeks ago a friend and I brewed a Tank 7 clone. It's sitting safely in secondary now. I had an idea to take a gallon of it when we bottle an age it on Chardonnay soaked oak chips and add some Brett. My question is would I add an entire vile of Brett for only one gallon? Feel free to offer any suggestions. This just an idea an I'm looking to experiment.

The White Labs vials don't have a huge number of cells, so a whole tube would be fine. Wyeast has a lot more cells, so one of their packs would probably be overkill.

Sounds like a good plan seeing as how Tank 7 appears to be the same base beer they use for Saison Brett.

Wyeast has a lot more cells, so one of their packs would probably be overkill.

oldsock, please correct me if i'm wrong here: while it would be overkill to add a whole smack-pack, it wouldn't hurt the beer either. just means that the brett would work faster since they wouldn't need to grow.

so if you have another use for the brett, split it with your Tank 7 clone. but if you don't, just go ahead and pitch the whole thing. or pitch just part of it and dump the rest.

amirite?

oldsock, please correct me if i'm wrong here: while it would be overkill to add a whole smack-pack, it wouldn't hurt the beer either. just means that the brett would work faster since they wouldn't need to grow.

so if you have another use for the brett, split it with your Tank 7 clone. but if you don't, just go ahead and pitch the whole thing. or pitch just part of it and dump the rest.

amirite?

Not sure. One Wyeast Brett pack is ~80 billion cells, that's a lot for 1 gallon. Works out to ~20 million cells per mL, when I'd guess the median pitching rate is ~100,000/mL.

my advice.... dont mess with Bret

brett.png

Back