Brand new technique!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
More of all dont try this at home.
Recipe started out as Orfyy Hob Goblin with more rounded off measurements. Used the new corona style mill for the first time on this brew. To shorten the story let just say my crush was too fine. Stuck spare. Loosened it up some but it was veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrryyyy slow. Not the most terrible thing that could happen. So it was late I put the MLT outside and the brew kettle under it and went to bed. Sadly I was too busy the next day to get a full boil in. I forget if it sat outside for a full day or just the night. But I didnt want it sitting for much longer. It was covered but its not like that is much or a barrier. So I poured it on a SafAle 04 or 05 (i forget off hand) yeast cake. Remember this was a preboil volume going into a 6 gallon carboy. It went right up to the top! It sat for I believe a day and I checked it and it was fermenting like crazy! Finally I had time to brew. Emptied the carboy into the brew pot and proceed to brew with modified hop additions and very crude weighing techniques(yes my scale batteries decided to die that day)! I have NO IDEA how this is going to turn out. Im not even going to get into how lackadaisical I was about my mashing!

Overall this brew was way too much fun and although it may not be the best brew or brewing I learn what not to do next time! I guess!:D

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
So I poured it on a SafAle 04 or 05 (i forget off hand) yeast cake. Remember this was a preboil volume going into a 6 gallon carboy. It went right up to the top! It sat for I believe a day and I checked it and it was fermenting like crazy! Finally I had time to brew. Emptied the carboy into the brew pot and proceed to brew with modified hop additions and very crude I guess!:D

You put it on the yeast cake and the next day boiled it?

landhoney said:
You put it on the yeast cake and the next day boiled it?
Yes because I didnt want any wild strands to get a chance on it. I know they would have been killed during the boil but obviously their off flavor would remain. This way a know yeast strand had first dips. Plus I ended up using SafAle 04 anyways so I used the same yeast for...ummm...both ferments?

technically any hydrometer reading would be messed up now. the yeast already started working. then you boiled the alcohol off..this will be interesting.

well big body and no alcohol. You could name it, The Fat Recovering Alcoholic

I dont really think its going to be non alcoholic. Its bubbling right now. Plus I mashed on the VERY high side.

It won't be NA, but it will have less than it would in a normal brewing situation. I'd say your yeast is cooked on this one. :D (Ok, that was friggin' terrible.)

Haha...So you made alcohol, then you boiled it off. You are gonna end up with an O'Douls... :)

Any remaining yeast that were in the wort/beer/etc. will simply serve as nutrients to the yeast you actually pitch. It'll mess with your gravity, but I guess I just see this as a technique to save some wort that sat for a while and should give some extra oomph to the newly pitched yeast.

I could see doing this and pitching two different yeasts. Like throw it on a Belgian yeast cake for 1 day, then boil it and repitch with a more neutral yeast and see what the boil does to the ester profile.

conpewter said:
I could see doing this and pitching two different yeasts. Like throw it on a Belgian yeast cake for 1 day, then boil it and repitch with a more neutral yeast and see what the boil does to the ester profile.
Wow, I can hardly fathom Belgian yeast abuse, even for science. : P

Just contemplating the mechanics of what went on here makes my head hurt real bad, so I'm gonna go kill it with some homebrew. Please don't ever mention this again. Unless it was really good, then talk about it again, but with smaller words

You boiled an entire yeast cake in your beer? Ewww dude. Yes, a small amount of yeast can serve as nutrients, but I can't imagine how an entire cake of dead yeast could possibly escape detection. Like dirty ******.

ChrisKennedy said:
You boiled an entire yeast cake in your beer? Ewww dude. Yes, a small amount of yeast can serve as nutrients, but I can't imagine how an entire cake of dead yeast could possibly escape detection. Like dirty ******.
Im thinking most will settle out.

Sure, it will settle out, but the effects will not.

A brewer I know once pitched a bunch of dead yeast into a beer, not realizing they were dead. He soon realized his mistake (later that day or the next day) pitched fresh yeast, it fermented out stupendously, and it came out smelling like dirty woman bits.

You basically created an entire yeast cake of dead yeast ready and willing to autolyse. It won't take long (the majority may have already broken down for the most part) and it probably won't taste pretty. But hey, it could turn out great, strange things happen in brewing.

conpewter said:

Any esters produced will be boiled off, thats why you can smell esters because they are very volatile.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Yes because I didnt want any wild strands to get a chance on it. I know they would have been killed during the boil but obviously their off flavor would remain. This way a know yeast strand had first dips. Plus I ended up using SafAle 04 anyways so I used the same yeast for...ummm...both ferments?

Thinking outside the box.:rockin:

I don't see how this will work. The living yeasts are going to revive the dead yeasts, turning them into UNdead yeasts. Now you have a zombie horde of yeast and not only will it destroy your living yeast, you will have to listen to trillions of tiny moans for graaaaaaiiiiinnnnss........

EvilTOJ said:
I don't see how this will work. The living yeasts are going to revive the dead yeasts, turning them into UNdead yeasts. Now you have a zombie horde of yeast and not only will it destroy your living yeast, you will have to listen to trillions of tiny moans for graaaaaaiiiiinnnnss........

Very very nice. 10/10!

EvilTOJ said:

That is freaking hillarious!!! :D Seriously, I almost peed...

EvilTOJ said:

AH!!! Best post of the year!! LOL!

EvilTOJ said:

E48B366BD0F94361A172BCD8C1D0FC13.jpg

EvilTOJ said:

Bravo, bravo (golf clap)

Back