BRAND NEW "brewer", tips??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmabrewer

Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm brand new here (as the title suggests), so I'd like to run my procedure by you that was recommended to me by a friend. My main concern is with the upkeep of the cider, as he gave me no instructions as to what/when to maintain it. Now, before reading any further, this is not, by any means, a thing I'm big into, but more for the experience and for "****s and giggles". As such, I have no fancy, expensive "air filtration/compressor" gear or whatnot. This was a recipe given to me with the intent of it producing "cheap-ass hard cider", so please consider this with the suggestions.

Enough blabbing. Here is the deal.

Materials:

5 gallon water jug (empty)
4 gallons store-bought apple juice
10 cups sugar
1 package traditional baking yeast

Procedure:

1: Mix AJ, yeast and sugar in water jug.
2: "Shake the everloving piss out of it"
3: Place balloon over top
4: wait 2 months

As you can see, not nearly a high-quality recipe. But I decided to do some research, and EVERYWHERE I've seen suggestions referring to a secondary distillation container. So overall, suggestions regarding anything are welcome, thanks so much in advance!!

First and foremost, I'd urge you to use better yeast. I've had good results with ale yeasts like Wyeast 3068 or wine yeast like Montrachet. I had a friend who claimed to have good results with champagne yeast as well. I tried using bread yeast back in college when I was poor and didn't know any better, and it never came out good. Bread yeast produces lots of "off" flavors.

Second, I'd buy a real airlock. They are super cheap at less than $2, and can be found at any homebrew store. Or you can make one easily with a bit of rubber tubing leading into a large cup of water. If you insist on using the balloon, poke a few *tiny* pinprick holes in it to let gas escape. the positive pressure from fermentation should keep anything from getting in.

A secondary vessel is not necessary (there's no "distillation" involved whatsoever), the key is to let it sit in the primary vessel long enough to clarify and let the yeast drop out of suspension.

Be really sure everything involve in the process is clean and sanitary, or you risk infection.

I don't know what "fancy air filtration compressor gear" you are referring to...

Store bought apple juice and sugar are just fine for a simple no frills cider. I just made one using only that.

Finally, watch your fermentation temperature! If you ferment it too warm, it will produce woe undesirable flavors.

Idk about you but I don't like shaking 5 gallons of must around..lol.. I would pour half of each bottle of juice into the big bottle and distribute the sugar in the juice bottles and shake the **** out of those :mug:

Alright guys, will do! I sincerely appreciate the input. Secondly, do you know of any other low-key recipes similar to this that can be made with similar materials, i.e not having to go out and buy specialized brewing supplies?

Where are you at? There's got to be some kind of brew shop nearby. Seriously... if you swap out the baking yeast for a real brewing yeast and swap out the balloon for an airlock, you can make something serious and not have to spend more than a few bucks.

Alright guys, will do! I sincerely appreciate the input. Secondly, do you know of any other low-key recipes similar to this that can be made with similar materials, i.e not having to go out and buy specialized brewing supplies?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/
You can use just regular table sugar but you do want to get a 99¢ pouch of champagne yeast!! If you don't want anything like a 99¢ airlock just a piece of tinfoil molded over the top of the bottle would do! It just adds a comfort to the quality of your wine.

+1 on the yeast. I use Red Star Champagne, or Lalvin D-47, and they come out great! Plus they both cost around a buck.

Also might want to get a small bottle of idophor (iodine) sanatizing solution. Boiling to sanatize doesn't really work with plastic 5 gal jugs...You could run it through a dishwasher with no soap, but just a small amount of iodine solution shook around in the jug (maybe 3 gallons) and then to sanatize your equipment is worth it...and the iodine is a no-rinse sanatizer. There are also other sanatizers at the brew store you can find, any of them work and they're worth the piece of mind.

And finally, take a 1/2 Gallon of cider in a sanatized pot and WARM it up just enough to disolve the sugar in, don't boil, just warm it up enough to disolve the sugar into a syrup, the yeast will tear through it better that way and it will mix with the cider better.

Good luck!

The tin foil suggestions are spot on. I fold a piece over twice to make a smaller square, then dunk it in sanitizer and crimp it on. If you don't have sanitizer, buy some cheap-ass vodka.

Back