Box of 16oz aluminum cans kegland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
Do I just use them how they are. Visual look and then use duofiller? I've read not to soak in water or sanitizer because of DO..

Answers or opinions appreciated

Cans need to be sanitized before use. Where did you read that they shouldn't?

Cans need to be sanitized before use. Where did you read that they shouldn't?
Just googled it. Read a sanitizer is a oxidizer so people just blow air to clean them. I've read just distilled water. I heard nothing just fill. So just getting opinions because I'm canning maybe 12 from my keg. Ones a hazy. I guess sanitize flip over and let it all come out or dry out is an option.

Just googled it. Read a sanitizer is a oxidizer so people just blow air to clean them. I've read just distilled water. I heard nothing just fill. So just getting opinions because I'm canning maybe 12 from my keg. Ones a hazy. I guess sanitize flip over and let it all come out or dry out is an option.

I don't know about all sanitizers, but StarSan isn't an oxidizer. Now, the starsan solution itself will contain some DO (from the air), but the tiny amount of DO in the residual StarSan (after most of it has drained away) would be IMO not worth calculating. That said, you might want to check in on the Low Oxygen subforum... Low Oxygen Brewing
I suspect they have done the calculations at some point.

I don't know about all sanitizers, but StarSan isn't an oxidizer. Now, the starsan solution itself will contain some DO (from the air), but the tiny amount of DO in the residual StarSan (after most of it has drained away) would be IMO not worth calculating. That said, you might want to check in on the Low Oxygen subforum... Low Oxygen Brewing
I suspect they have done the calculations at some point.
I'll just go for it and shake each can and let them drain fully sit for a couple min

You could starsan shake them and then squirt in a few ml of ascorbic acid solution made with boiled then cooled water. Might reduce oxidation further.

Back