Bourbon Cubes - Mold inside mason jar on lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am trying to see if it is possible to still used these bourbon wood cubes which I have soaking in a mason jar. So my last bourbon barrel brew was over a year ago, but I had some extra soaked cubes so I left them in the mason jar. They have been and still are covered by liquor but I go to open it today and see mold on the inside on the lid.

Would you think it is safe to still use the cubes given they are still in the liquor (40% abv bourbon)? No biggie if not, I will just soak some more...but wanted to ask before I dump it.

IMG_20200522_112746.jpg

IMG_20200522_112732.jpg

IMG_20200522_112726.jpg

I second that. There is no positive reason to use them. Dump it ......

That doesn't look like mould to me, it looks like degradation of the plastisol coating plus rust of the base metal. I don't use mason type jars because of this plastic coating, but I doubt there is anything really harmful in there.

That doesn't look like mould to me, it looks like degradation of the plastisol coating plus rust of the base metal. I don't use mason type jars because of this plastic coating, but I doubt there is anything really harmful in there.

Oh snap, you are right. They are plastic blue bubbles and rust. Juck stuck a needle in one to confirm. Appreciate this.

Back