Bourbon Barrel Porter: Malt went in 45 mins early! Did I screw it up?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
I’m brewing my Bourbon Barrel porter from NB. I had 2lbs dry wheat extract and 6.3 lbs liquid Malt extract. I didn’t notice that it said to put in Hops and the liquid Dark Malt Extract at the 45 mins point for last 15 mins of boil.

How will this affect my brew?? :( obviously it’s too late to stop.

Thanks,
Lorne

Your hops that you added too early have turned into bittering hops instead of flavor hops. If you have more hops of that variety you can add them at the 15 minute to the end time and get flavoring from them (and a little bittering too). Your porter will turn out more bitter than you would expect buy that isn't all bad. Some people like their bitter beers.

The recipe calls for Chinook for 60 minutes and a half ounce each of US Goldings, 45 min and 5 min respectively, before flameout.
If you forgot the Goldings some of the flavor and aroma of that hop will be missing.

One option could be dry-hopping with the Goldings pellets to compensate.
The way I read your post is you also forgot to add the LME per directions. With the lower alpha Goldings hop addition boiling longer, it will affect flavor and aroma, but not as much as totally forgetting your Chinook hops. LOL
According to my numbers, one ounce of hops with 3.5AAU bittering will boost your bittering by up to 10 IBU if boiled for one hour. Not too bad considering Chinook has a 2-3x bittering rate .... but I have no idea what AAU level you were supplied by NB

Last edited:
The OP will need to be more specific. I read it as only the extract being added early. In a Porter that should not be much of a problem. It it was a light colored beer the main effect would be a beer that turns out darker than if the extract was added later.

It it is hops then there will be an increased bitterness. If some were omitted the aroma and flavor will suffer. That can be addressed by dry hopping.

Ok sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the replies. Let me try and clarify...

I added all malt extract at the start of boil. 2lbs dry malt and 6.3 lbs dark malt extract. I was supposed to add the dark malt extract at the 45min mark (15mins remaining).

However in that process I also forgot to add the 1oz Chinook hops at the start of boil! So I added those 30mins into the boil (as opposed to the start). Then boiled those for about 20 more mins longer before adding the Goldings .5oz for 15 mins remaining and the the other .5oz goldings for last 5 mins.

I hope that makes sense. To summarize Chinook hops were in a about 20 mins shorter than they should have been and dark malt extract was in 45 mins longer than it should have.

I was so forgetful because I tried to watch my 3 year old and hang Christmas lights at the same time. Whoops!

Chinook hops for 50 minutes and your flavor/aroma hops done correctly? That's what I understood here.
Your extract boiled a bit longer than expected, so your beer might be slightly darker and less bitter/hoppy than the directions called for, but not much.

As you were brewing a porter you won't notice much of a color difference. The bittering hops were in for a shorter time so your beer will be less bitter but you'll be fine.

As you were brewing a porter you won't notice much of a color difference. The bittering hops were in for a shorter time so your beer will be less bitter but you'll be fine.

Hops are reported to give up 90% of their bittering in the first 30 minutes. By the time they have boiled for 50 minutes I suspect that they have pretty much done all they can. I think you will end up with beer.

Back