Bourbon barrel newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum25

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a newly emptied bourbon barrel from a local distillery. Is it feasible to put 10 or 15 gallons into a 25 gallon bourbon barrel or is that just looking for trouble?

I have not made a barrel aged beer before, but in the research I've found it's advised to fill it all the way

I've considered buying a barrel but then realize it's way less hassle to simply buy oak cubes and lend flavor to my beer using those.

No issues with oxidation or souring bacteria making their way in. Plus storage between fills isn't an issue if you use cubes/chips.

I'd just hate to lose 25 gallons of beer if it spoiled somehow while in the barrel.

The barrel lends flavors that from what I've read you simply can't match with cubes.

Find a small distillery and buy a 5 gallon barrel. Mine was 55 bucks and i was able to fill it all the way with one batch. No headspace issues and store whiskey in it during non use

Perfect size barrel
20180218_160415.jpeg

The barrel lends flavors that from what I've read you simply can't match with cubes.

Find a small distillery and buy a 5 gallon barrel. Mine was 55 bucks and i was able to fill it all the way with one batch. No headspace issues and store whiskey in it during non use
$55 is a great deal! for that price it might be worth trying out.

I run two barrel projects right now, one is a 15 gallon barrel and the other is 30 gallons. I recruited other brewers, we agree on a recipe and fill the barrel. When its time to empty the barrel, we refill it on the same night. Magic happens in a barrel.

Me and some friends filled a 15 gal FEW rye barrel with Wheatwine. Turned out amazing!!

Latest posts

Back