Bourbon Barrel Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asgard

Reaction score
I figured I'd repost my favorite recipe from the Recipe's page since those get little in the way of replies. I'm on my forth patch now and have kicked it up to 'double bourbon, double oak' but otherwise this one has been a great go-to recipe:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 5G
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.000
Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.1
Color: Golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68C
Tasting Notes: Dry cider with hints of Bourbon and oak

Essentially you just make a basic cider template, back sweeten with apple juice concentrate, and add bourbon that's been soaking some oak cubes for 3 days. The amount of back-sweetening and bourbon/oak can be easily varied to taste, but I'll give you all my starting point and you can play with it from there.

Cider Template:
5 gallons apple juice (I prefer Kirkland brand if you have a Costco)
1 tbsp yeast nutrient
Nottingham yeast

I'm not sure if there is an official name for this, but I refer to it as my cider template. I always have 5 gallons of this sitting in my basement waiting for a keg spot to free up and then I decide how I want to finish it. After you add the yeast it should take ~2 weeks for it to ferment and clarify, etc. After that it can keep indefinitely until you're ready to finish it.

Finishing:
2 cans apple juice concentrate. (I use tree top but I don't think it matters much)
2 cups bourbon.
2 oz. toasted oak cubes.

Soak the oak cubes in the bourbon for 3 days, strain out the bourbon, and add the bourbon and apple juice concentrate to the cider template. Store the cider by your preferred method (as mentioned, I like to just Keg it for simplicity).

The result should be a pleasantly dry, crisp cider with some hints of a bourbon's rich savory taste and oak tones. If you don't know, you can easily buy toasted oak cubes from your local home brew supply store or at any number of brew stores online.

I'd love to get you're opinions on the recipe and any experience any of you may have had with oaking a cider or adding bourbon.

I've been thinking of doing this to my own cider, but from what I've read, I would think you would need a lot more contact time with the oak cubes to give it a noticeable flavor (months)? Chips are definitely faster. Is it possible that in your case, the oak flavors are from the bourbon itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any recommendations for oak chips/cubes/spirals -- brands...styles...amt of char? Seems like a bunch of choices on Amazon.

Last edited:
I've used a 2L charred oak barrel & aged an ice cider 40days -- turned out awesome! Like a low alcohol bourbon [emoji111]

Cheers [emoji12]

Any recommendations for oak chips/cubes/spirals -- brands...styles...amt of char? Seems like a bunch of choices on Amazon.

I've had excellent luck with oak from this seller on Ebay. He cuts and toasts American oak. You can ask for any toast level and the pricing is outstanding. I cut the sticks into cubes, boil the oak for about 3 minutes to sanitize and reduce tannins, then soak the oak in a spirit for 3+ months. I use about 4 to 6 1" cubes for a 5-gal keg.

Back