Bought wrong Belgian yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Ok so let me start by saying I can't stand Belgian phenols or esters. Although there is one flavor, bubblegum, I have picked this up in a few beers and I can dig it. So I've been wanting to brew a beer without using my typical neutral or English yeast. I decided to go with WLP Belgian wit. Some research shows I can get bubble gum with this yeast. All is good... I'm gonna do it.

Well on a whim today, I decided to brew this beer, an American ale style pale with some bubblegum. I get home and start making my starter and I realized I bought Wyeast Belgian wit! After doing some reading I realize this isn't a hardcore Belgian yeast but it will throw phenolic flavors. I'm stuck feeling like I may brew something that I won't like but on the other hand who knows, it might turn out..?

What can I do to minimize these flavors, ferment cool? Will fermenting too cold have a negative impact? I'm thinking 62.

On the plus side here I brew 11 gal batches and decided to split into two separate yeasts, I chose safale 04 as the other. If I'm not totally happy with the Belgian, I could always go for the safale version. Any tips getting bubblegum from 3944?

I wonder if I should just commit to pitching a small amount of 3944 for character and half the packet of s04 between the two fermenters.

I don't think you'll get what you're after with this strain. Maybe throw some fruit in it and make it something less reliant on yeast character? Lower temp means less expressive yeast.

Different pitch isn't too expensive.

gotta say, you sound dead set against phenols...from all the work you've already put in and will put in..i'd just drop by the lhbs and grab a packet of dry yeast. no need to delay the brewday...and dont waste good wort with yeast you already know you wont like!
maybe this: http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/SafAle-BE-2563.pdf
half the esters of s-04, or t-58 (a saison yeast ive used that's VERY phenolic). may be hard to find though.
WB-06 is also tried and true!

I'm trucking ahead and using the 3944. After tasting the starter, it wasnt bad. It gave that tart flavor i like in wheat beers- think New Belgiums Snapshot.. Going to ferment both S04 and 3944 at 64F.

Back