Bought on the cheap...any thing good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoEasy11

Reaction score

I bought all this for pretty cheap off CL. I am looking to keg in the future. Is there anything here I can use besides the c02 tank?

Yes you can use the picnic faucet as well as the other faucets and tower if you want... I would clean/sanitize them all and replace the lines tho...

Do you know the best stuff to clean this stuff with? will a big scoop of oxiclean in some hot water do the trick?

Do you know the best stuff to clean this stuff with? will a big scoop of oxiclean in some hot water do the trick?
That depends on your water... If city water, yes a good soak in oxyclean free is great... But, if like me you have hard water a good soak in PBW works too...

The tank is good and may have been a real score, regulator is probably ok too (assuming it wasn't stored outside), and tower can be useful depending on what you're looking to do (or ebay that for $25). Take a look at the faucets, they look like chromed brass - they only have a finite lifespan before the chrome is eaten away by the low pH beer. The lines are shot. Picnic faucets can be used but they're only a couple of bucks and you may be able to get more by selling them to some frat boy at a local college if it's a complete set (with the party pump, etc). You won't use the sankey keg couplers in homebrewing.

You won't use the sankey keg couplers in homebrewing.

Well not exactly. I have refilled sankey kegs on occasion.

CO2 tank is good. The regulator, if it works should be good as well. Replace the lines(especially the one going to the faucet in the tower) as said above. Oxy clean soak the sankey adapter/faucet/tower and run sanitizer through it before use. As for the party pump(s) run some oxy through it and use at your next picnic.

You may want to purchase some Sankey quick disconnects (ball or pin lock, pin lock kegs are currently cheaper, more people seem to use ball lock) and the connecters for the lines to attach the QD's as well as possibly a threaded adapter for the sankey coupler so that you can swap it in if you buy a commercial keg.

Is there a maximum life span on a tank? This tank seem to be almost 25 years old. Last inspected in 1993

Is there a maximum life span on a tank? This tank seem to be almost 25 years old. Last inspected in 1993
Yes and no... As long as it has a current hydro test you are good to go for refills, and you can always just find a place that trades them in... That's what I do with my older propane tanks... Otherwise I just refill them (much cheaper, and my local hardware store gives you every 4th refill for free...)

CO2 tanks are good until they fail Hydro. Just trade it in. You may have to pay a little more to get it hydroed as it is expired, but often the swap places do not charge for that. If you go to get it refilled you usually have to pay to ship it off.

Back