Bought kegs on ebay, not sure they are good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancoBrews10

Reaction score
So I bought my first kegs ever on ebay. Got 4 of them some are dented which I understand for the most part is no big deal. However, two of them held the co2 really well, one of them so-so, the other seemed to not hold at all.

What can I do to know if they work or not?

I would pressure them up, then spray down with soapy water to figure out if/where they leak. Most of the time it's just an o-ring or popet that is leaking. Every once in awhile, you might find a bent lid. Short of a hole in the side, everything is replaceable/repairable.

You can get keg refurbish kits at places like Keg Connection. These are mostly rubber gaskets. You might need to replace poppets. Some keg lube also will help the poppets to seat properly. I would bet there's a you tube vid.

Last edited:
You can keg refurbish kits at places like Keg Connection. These are mostly rubber gaskets. You might need to replace poppets. Some keg lube also will help the poppets to seat properly. I would bet there's a you tube vid.

+1 on keg lube, great stuff.

Inspect the lid and the area where it seats. It either of those areas are dented you might need to straighten it out or replace the lid.

Replace all the o-rings. Almost all the online stores carry replacement o-ring sets.

Thank you guys! Confirmed exactly what I was thinking that if its anything it could be the lid cause one of them looks a tiny bit bent. I got em for $25 each so I'm definitely not complaining. I also bought 2 of them from keg connection which each came with an extra set of o-rings, however due to your suggestion I bought more! Gonna be quite a great xmas!

The Williams lid extra thick gasket is great.
I bought some "B" grade kegs. Two arrived with one handle and the handle is about to break off. Kinda sucks to be honest.
So now I just buy new ones on black friday. The few bucks extra are well worth the investment.
Check the orings on each post, the gas and liquid. The liquid ones have ripped apart if tighten too much.
Keg lube is your friend.

Back