Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PimpHandBrew

Reaction score
Have been reading alot about priming sugars and the different products you can use. I am new to all this, this being my second batch, but i am going to prime in the bucket, instead of the Coopers tablets. I read about the yeast doing all the work to get the beer carbonated, and i have a question or two.

My 5 gal batch of Irish Stout was pitched on the 13th of Nov, with a OG of 1.044. Checked gravity and got 1.008. The batch of beer is down around 18C. My ? is, did i kill the yeast from being to cold or when I prime it and store it in a warm cupboard, will it wake up and do its job? I did the check on one of the calculators and I am to add 2.2oz of sugar (table) for the type of beer and temp. and 1.8 somethin or another. Will it work? I know yeast is pretty resilient and can handle fluctuations, will storing it at a warmer temp change the amount of sugar that should be added or does it handle the changes with what is added to give the same carbonation? Where i have my buckets to ferment, there isn't enough room to store bottles, well, that and wife would have my sack. I AM SO CONFUSED!!:confused:

At first take this seemed like a easy hobby, that with little effort i could reap the rewards. YEAH, RIGHT!! Boil this, don't boil that, drop to this temp for this and get to this temp for that, and don't add to much of this cause you will have claymores blowing off like that. Don't get me wrong I am totally hooked since the first sip, but darn there is a lot of variables. I thanks the big man upstairs for this site, without it, i would be wasting time and money.

Any help would be great. I have searched, but I never seem to come across the right answer. Maybe i guess I am asking the wrong question or searching in the wrong place.:drunk:

thanks
james
:mug:

First of all, relax.

Priming in the bucket is a good idea. Using table sugar...eh. I've always used corn sugar / priming sugar, personally, but others use table sugar.

18°C / 64.4° F doesn't seem too low to ferment. What did your yeast packet / vial say to ferment at?

The temperature during carbonation does not matter in regards to priming sugar additions, but the temperature at which the beer was fermented at does, since some residual CO2 was made during the fermentation process.

Where you store your bottles during carbonation / conditioning will affect the time to full carbonation, though. The warmer the temps, the faster it conditions. Obviously there's limits to this theory, so don't try to condition your bottles at 100°C in hopes of having conditioned beer in ten minutes.

Where you store your bottles during carbonation / conditioning will affect the time to full carbonation, though. The warmer the temps, the faster it conditions. Obviously there's limits to this theory, so don't try to condition your bottles at 100°C in hopes of having conditioned beer in ten minutes.

NICE :rockin:

Thanks for the info.

Back