bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyspalding

Reaction score
I just bottled my porter, 5.5 alc%. The brewers best instructions says to leave in temps of 68 to 72 degrees. The avg temp of the dining room is 80 degrees, where I normally store everything. SInce I am new, I dont know how much this really matters. Is this fine, Or should I move to my room where it is a little cooler. There is no way I can get to 70 or below. Thanks

Cooler fermentations are better. I brewed the BB robust porter kit when I first started out and didn't pay as close attention to temps as I should have and it turned out pretty decent. My wife loved it. Cool it as best you can, 70* would be good if you can hit that. But RDWHAHB. You can always let it sit in bottles to age a couple extra weeks after conditioning if it needs to mellow out any.

The beer is done, 80 F is OK.

Need to be about 70 F (or above) for 2 to 3 weeks to ensure it carbonates OK. After that you can store it however you like.

Just a note: The higher the long-term storage temperature the quicker you will lose hop flavor and aroma, but I suspect it will not be around long enough to worry about it.

Back