Bottling to soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarmike7495

Reaction score
What happens if you bottle when theres still very very slow bubbling in the airlock? I need the answer soon cause I'm leaving for maine for the next month tommorow so I need to bottle. Thanks guys!!

You run the risk of bottle bombs, don't do it. It needs to be checked with a hydrometer.

_

You run the risk of bottle bombs, don't do it. It needs to be checked with a hydrometer.

_

agreed. And the hydrometer reading should be stable for at least 3 days. Making [good] beer requires time, patience and planning ahead.

Without more info everyone is just going to say check the hydrometer. Even then you need to know where the beer is supposed to end up with its final gravity.

But how can i get a reading without opening the primary fermenter, which will mess up the fermentation rite??

Not at all. Sanatize a turkey baster or measuring cup, open the fermentor, grab enough to fill your hydrometer tube, reseal fermenter and get your reading! As long as you follow good sanitation you can get as many readings as you need!

Hell, even some homebrewers and comercially breweries ferment in open containers!

i got a reading of 20 and my directions say to be done at 1.019 does that mean like litteraly near zero or near 20?

It means 1.019,or between the "20",& the 1st small line. The numbered lines run 1,010,1,020,1.030,etc. The small lies in between run 1.012,1.014,1,016,etc. I'd just leave it sealed in a cool place with a good temp for the time you're gone.

Sounds like it's done. Probably OK to bottle. If it fermented for a week or more at room temps then it's done. Probably.

If we are talking about one bubble every 30 seconds, it's done. One bubble ever second and I'd leave it alone.

Ok guys I've decided I am going to be an impatient beginner and maybe learn a lesson. Ill bottle and leave extra room in the bottles and let you know how it goes. Maybe I will put the bottles in bags too incase they do explode, thanks for all the advice.

I would use a little less priming sugar or plastic bottles if you still plan on doing this.

I have over-carbonated my share of bottles, I have only really lost a few in each batch due to the bottom blowing out. The bottles that held pressure were severely over carbonated; after pouring in a glass and let sit for a few minutes, they were drinkable.

Back