Bottling straight from primary. Or bucket and risk oxidizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've brewed multiple times, but there has always been a bit of an off flavor, which I'm wondering if it's from oxidation. I normally secondary, which I have not done this time. Should I bottle from the primary or just use a bucket?

I do not want to individually prime bottles!

You really need to go to the bottling bucket. Just add the priming sugar and rack carefully to the bottling bucket and you should have no problems.

Trying to bottle directly from the fermenter wil not work because you will not be able to properly mix in the priming solution.

And, just in case, if you don't already have one, spend the $10 on an auto siphon. Racking becomes super easy. Less risk of sanitation issues (I believe) and after I started using one, less air bubbles flowing in the siphon.

+1. Definitely rack to the bottling bucket. Make a priming solution out of 2C water boiled a couple minutes,remove from heat & stir in weighed amount of priming sugar till the water goes clear again. Cover a cool abit. Then use a tube on the fermenter spigot,or auto siphon to curl half way 'round the bottom of the bottling bucket,then add priming solution. When finished racking,you can sanitize a long spoon or paddle to give it a few gentle stirs to make sure it's mixed well. Then fill cleaned & sanitized bottles & cap with sanitized caps.

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, I have an auto siphon and I always rack carefully and slowly. Wasn't sure if that was inefficient, though.

Latest posts

Back